1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2008 4:27 PM by luxspes

Cookbook for seamgen and tomcat without embedded-jboss?

tynor.stynor.gmail.com

• Seam 2.0.3.CR1

• Tomcat 6

We are about to embark on our second Seam project, and for this one we have a requirement to deploy to a simple servlet container (Tomcat) without embedded-jboss (our project does not use EJB).

We've been completely unsuccessful in adapting a simple seamgen generated WAR project to run on Tomcat6. Of course, we've been able to deploy the simple jpa example without problem, but that project looks nothing like a seamgen'd one, so it's hard to know where to begin in what to change in our seamgen'd app to make it work on raw Tomcat.

Can someone point me at a cookbook of what to do?  I've read the reference manual, and seen previous comments on the forum that it's just a matter of adjusting the jars included in the war, editing a configuration option here or there (persistence.xml, components.xml, etc.), but it would be very helpful if someone who has been through the pain could list specifically what they did to create a deployable app.   This seems to be a common question, but I've been unable to find a straightforward answer.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Cookbook for seamgen and tomcat without embedded-jboss?

It is pretty simple, just create your project with JBossTools 2.1.2 as always, configure it for tomcat instead of JBoss, and then keep throwing in jar libraries from jboss-seam-2.0.2.SP1\lib to you project WEB-INF\lib until you satisfy all the ClassNotFoundExceptions.

A good example is in jboss-seam-2.0.2.SP1\examples\jpa\. (You coul also run the ant with the command: ant tomcat6 and take a look at the contents of the generated WEB-INF/lib.

Oh, and remember to configure you DataSources in the context.xml file instead of the -ds.xml file.