2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2008 9:20 PM by Alexander Schwartz

Advanced error handling ideas

Alexander Schwartz Newbie

We at our company are exploring advanced error handling ideas. The basic error handling to end the conversation and to display a standard page can be quite annoying for the user.

First I like to share and discuss ideas, and I'm happy to share the code that is already available for this.

Do you think anything should become standard in SEAM? Or should I document it in the FAQ?

The ideas (first matching rule completes the error handling):

(1) when the error occurs during a POST request, return to the last known view in the conversation and display the error message

(2) when the error occurs in a pageflow, reposition the pageflow at the last known node and display the error message

(3) when there is a nested conversation, end the current conversation and display the message on the last known view of the parent conversation

(4) if there is no other remedy, use a default error page

The pages.xml would look like this:

<exception class="java.lang.Exception">
        <redirect
         view-id="#{exceptionHandler.getViewId('/sportal/error.jspx')}">
         <message severity="error">
          #{messages[exceptionHandler.getMessage(org.jboss.seam.handledException)]}
         </message>
        </redirect>
       </exception>

What do you think about the ideas?

Alexander.

• 1. Re: Advanced error handling ideas
          System Administrator Expert

when you say error handling do you mean exception handling or validation error handling via Hibernate Validators?

I'm thinking you mean exception handling.  For example, a DB exception (e.g., transaction failed for some reason), user gets re-directed to generic error.xhtml.  and presumably must re-start conversation/use case.

So you're saying in this case, the LRC is demoted to temporary conversation.  Why does that demotion need to happen?  Why can't user have a link to go back to previous page and re-exec the use case?

• 2. Re: Advanced error handling ideas
            Alexander Schwartz Newbie

Sool,

how would you like to redirect the use to the previous page? Javascript? Or is there any other way to do this?

Redirecting her/him to the original page (where they are able to change i.e. their inputs) and displaying the error message at the same time sounds like a good idea to me.

I posted my code on another thread, the exception handler posted there works with any exception.

Error Handling w/ JPDL

Alexander.