0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2008 6:21 PM by luxspes

JSF has date time converter. Why Seam ignores it?

Create a Seam project using Jboss Tools 2.1.2.

Create a new Seam Form with name SeamDateForm

Open the file SeamDateForm.java and change the value from Integer to java.util.Date.

Right-click seamDateForm.xhtml and click Run As... -> Run On Server.

Write something in the form (like for example some random string dfasdf)
      You will get the error: Conversion Error setting value 'dfasdf' for 'null Converter'.

Now create a Date Converter, as the one included in the attached test case project (BTW it inherits from javax.faces.convert.DateTimeConverter).

Stop the application (just to be 100% sure everything gets loaded correctly)

Again:

Right-click seamDateForm.xhtml and click Run As... -> Run On Server.

Write something in the form (like for example some random string dfasdf)

Now you get the right error: value must be a date, eg. 10/13/2008.

Of course it not only fails when you write a random string, even if you write a correct date, like 01/01/2001, you will get an error that says:
      Conversion Error setting value '01/01/2001' for 'null Converter'. But if you write your own converter (for example inheriting from javax.faces.convert.DateTimeConverter) everything works fine.

I think that if Seam uses automatically and transparently, javax.faces.convert.IntegerConverter, or javax.faces.convert.LongConverter, it should do the same with javax.faces.convert.DateTimeConverter, I shouldn't need to create or configure my own converter. Therefore JBSEAM-3551 is created