3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2008 9:39 AM by Nikolay Turpitko

Problem with s:decorator, s:message and cancel button

Vassiliy Dubkin Newbie

Hi seam forum!

I experienced a problem canceling an operation and resetting the form to default values. I will explain it with a little example: I have a simple form with one save and one cancel button. When the user clicks on the save button, the form shall be resetted. I am using ajax4jsf commandbuttons.

<h:form>
      <s:decorate template="/include/formFieldDecorate.xhtml">
        <ui:define name="label">Duration</ui:define>
        <h:inputText id="duration" size="5" value="#{testHome.instance.duration}"  required="true" />
      </s:decorate>
      <s:div>
        <a4j:commandButton value="Save" action="#{testHome.persist}" reRender="testForm" />
        <a4j:commandLink action="#{testHome.reset}" reRender="testForm" ajaxSingle="true" />
      </s:div>
      </h:form>

The first problem was that hitting the cancel button causes validation errors. That problem was easy to solve by adding:

immediate="true"

Unfortuantely, setting immediate to true has the sideeffect that the action method in my backing bean succesfully resets the field values, but reRender doesn't show it.

I tried another solution by adding

ajaxSingle="true"

to the cancel button. That works almost perfect except that the
      #{invalid}

expression within the s:decoration  tag doesn't recognize the changes. The error messages become invisible but the error styles are still applied.

Summary:
      Immediate works except that the new values were not applied to the form.
      ajaxSingle works except that the s:decorator invalid expression recognizes it.

How can I solve the problem?