7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 3:11 PM by magix

Be happy you have interceptors!

asookazian

We have a performance problem in a .NET app here at work (not mine!) and apparently .NET does not have interceptors or AOP as part of the framework (although I found a library called Aspect# online).

Seam interceptors and EJB3 interceptors are very good for profiling public business method execution, so take advantage of that, it's very easy to do.  If you need an example, holler.

• 1. Re: Be happy you have interceptors!

Hi Arbi:
          I´ve never used interceptors up to now but could you provide an example for a start please.
          than you!

• 2. Re: Be happy you have interceptors!
            asookazian
            public class ProfilingInterceptor {

Log log = Logging.getLog(ProfilingInterceptor.class); 

@org.jboss.seam.annotations.intercept.AroundInvoke
                public Object profile(InvocationContext ic) throws Exception {

log.info("*** Entering method: " + ic.getMethod().getName());

long startTime = 0;
                    long endTime = 0;
                    try {
                        startTime = System.currentTimeMillis();            
                        return ic.proceed();
                    } finally {
                        endTime = System.currentTimeMillis();
                        log.info("*** Method " + ic.getClass() + "." + ic.getMethod() + " executed in " + (endTime - startTime) + "ms ***");
                    }
                }
            }

ejb-jar.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
            <ejb-jar xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee" 
                     xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" 
                     xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/ejb-jar_3_0.xsd"
                     version="3.0">

<interceptors>
                 <interceptor>
                   <interceptor-class>org.jboss.seam.ejb.SeamInterceptor</interceptor-class>       
                 </interceptor>
                 <interceptor>
                   <interceptor-class>com.cox.ers.utils.ProfilingInterceptor</interceptor-class>       
                 </interceptor>
               </interceptors>

<assembly-descriptor>
                  <interceptor-binding>
                     <ejb-name>*</ejb-name>
                     <interceptor-class>org.jboss.seam.ejb.SeamInterceptor</interceptor-class>
                     <interceptor-class>com.cox.ers.utils.ProfilingInterceptor</interceptor-class>   
                  </interceptor-binding>
               </assembly-descriptor>

</ejb-jar>

Best part is you don't touch your Seam components at all to setup this interceptor. 

• 3. Re: Be happy you have interceptors!
              asookazian

The above example I refactored.  It used to be a EJB3 interceptor.  Keep in mind that only interface methods will be intercepted.

• 4. Re: Be happy you have interceptors!

Arbi Sookazian wrote on Aug 27, 2009 01:52:

We have a performance problem in a .NET app here at work (not mine!) and apparently .NET does not have interceptors or AOP as part of the framework (although I found a library called Aspect# online).

And if you are using the Enterprise Library you can use Unity Interceptors

• 5. Re: Be happy you have interceptors!
                  asookazian

Nice heads up on unity interceptors.  Unfortunately, they're using an older version (prior to EL 4.1).  That means no MVC yet either, but I believe that's a separate library, it's all so confusing, just like JEE...

• 6. Re: Be happy you have interceptors!

thank you very much!
                    I would like to rate you but as you know I cant´as I haven´t started the topic ;-(

• 7. Re: Be happy you have interceptors!
                      magix

Can I confine the interceptors also to certain methods only, e.g. all methods that start with get... in a certain package etc?

Matthias