3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 4:04 PM by jeanluc

Bad performance after migrating to JBoss 5.x

Hello everybody!

I've experienced really bad performance after migrating our application from JBoss AS 4.2 to 5.0 or 5.1. After migrating to JBoss 5, JSF requests take about 3-4 seconds (600-900ms on JBoss 4.2)! There are no errors or hints in the JBoss log and the application works as expected (except for the really bad performance). The application makes heavy use of EJBs and JPA (requests without invoking EJBs are also very slow). I found out that a JSF only application without Seam runs quite fast.

I've searched the JBoss AS forums and found a lot of similar topics about that problem without a solution for that problem. However, all these threads have one in common - we all use Seam. I've tested my application with Seam 2.1 as well as with Seam 2.2.

Is that a known problem with JBoss AS 5? Anybody knows the cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Bad performance after migrating to JBoss 5.x
          mbarenka

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. We have a Seam 2.2 application without EJBs. The application ran very well on JBoss 4.2.3. After mirgrating to JBoss 5.1, the memory consumption increases from 220MB to 680MB. In addittion, we encounter similar performance issues.

Btw: The startup time of the 5.1 server is four times slower than the 4.2.3 server having similar services running.

I would be really glad if someone could clarify!

• 2. Re: Bad performance after migrating to JBoss 5.x
            asookazian

You'd think there would be rigorous QA @ JBoss for JBoss 5.x releases in conjunction with Seam 2.x apps.  It's always safer to wait at least 6-12 months for JBoss products to stabilize.

Have you tried baselining the hotel booking app with 4.x and then comparing performance with 5.x???

• 3. Re: Bad performance after migrating to JBoss 5.x
              jeanluc

Well, the obvious thing to do is to use a profiler and find out where it's slow...