2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 6:13 PM by Marcus Schmidke

Getting started with RESTful stateless application

Marcus Schmidke Newbie
      Hello all,

I want to write simple stateless application. I started with seam's documentation chapter 1.9.2 ff. I learned a lot from this and could use it in my own application, but there are still some questions I was not able to find the right keywords for to have Google help me out.

Perhaps you have have some hints, links or so.

Questions follow:

1. How can I get rid of the "conversationId" URL parameter? I have learned about temporary conversations even if I do not explicitly start one, but in fact I do not want to see them in the URLs since my URLs shall be bookmarkable.

2. How can I make a "stateless" form post? I want to be able to have the form on the user's screen as long as he wants, and posting it should be possible even if user session has timed out. I worked around this using a plain HTML form tag, but with that, I have to specify the whole path ("/ContextRoot/PathTo/Page.seam")(*)

2a. How can I prevent saving state? Even with not having started a conversation, my event scoped page bean restores some state when the page is posted.

3. Which tag should I use to link to pages? h:commandLink doesn't work after session timeout, s:link makes strange URLs which point back to the page I am on, and I was not able to figure out how to keep URL parameters on redirect. And with a href I again will have to specify the whole path.

Is there some example for a really stateless application out there? I don't want to have any session timeout no matter how long the user needs to fill out a form, and I want to have clean bookmarkable URLs without any "garbage".

Is this possible?

Thank you all!!

Marcus.

(*) not always, but if I'm using URL rewrite, I never know: am I at /ContextRoot/Rewritten/xxx or at /ContextRoot/PathTo/Page.seam?id=xxx? So that using an absolute path is better
        • 1. Re: Getting started with RESTful stateless application
          Aldo Bonzi Novice

2a. What do you mean by event scoped page bean restores some state when the page is posted.
          May be this is a browser cache issue. Did you try with autocomplete=off in h:inputText?

3. h:outputLink renders a simple <a href> tag, but you have to specify the whole path.

• 2. Re: Getting started with RESTful stateless application
            Marcus Schmidke Newbie
            2a. In my page bean, I have a reference to an entity. On the first request, it's loaded by ID using a request parameter. But on the second request - when the form is submitted -, the entity reference is somehow simply "there". So the bean must have somehow been in the session, but it is explicitly event scoped and I don't want it in the session. (In fact, I don't have a problem with the bean in the session [except that it's something I don't understand], but I don't want to run into problems when the user session times out between the first (GET) and second (POST) request.)