1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 12:09 AM by titou09

Questions on running seam 2.2 on J2EE container without JBoss embedded

littlealan

We are evaluating to integrate Seam into our J2EE 1.4-based framework (OC4J 10.1.3, Toplink, Spring, JSF 1.1). Our goal is to upgrade the JSF 1.1. to JSF 1.2, without upgrading the app server (poor us)

From the official FAQ and documentation, stated that seam can be run on any J2EE container. But when I further check the dependency-report of seam-core, it has compile-time dependency on Servlet 2.5 API and JSP 2.1 API.

So my question is if we deploy Seam (without JBoss embeded) on J2EE container and run JSF 1.2 application on it, and assuming we don't use EJB3, is there any conflict or incompatibility with the container-provided Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0 implementation? e.g. If I have a servlet running in the same application but totally outside the seam lifecycle, is there any issue?

• 1. Re: Questions on running seam 2.2 on J2EE container without JBoss embedded
          titou09

We used to run some apps in poduction on WebSphere v6.1 (Without the EJB3 FP) which is a JDK1.5/J2EE 1.4 AS (We are now on WAS v7.0)

The key here is to include the JSF RI 1.2 libs with your apps and to uses facelets, not JSPs. Also in WAS we had to change the classloaders lookup order to pick the JSF libs from our apps, not the ones provided by WAS

We started with seam 1.2, then 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2

This worked without any problem

Our app was using POJOs only