3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 9:29 AM by ary

HowToUse seam-gen to reverse engineer multiple databases

ary

Hi There,

Apologies, if this question has already been answered in some existing topic. I tried googling but could not find any post for the working solution!!

I am a newbie to Seam and have been exploring it for use in my current project. I need to build a UI which will dynamically connect to multiple MySQL database schema's.

Is it possible to use seam-gen to reverse engineer and generate pages for more than one MySQL database schema simultaneously?

If yes, can someone tell me the exact steps to be followed/modifications required so that seam-gen (either command line or using JBoss-Tools) can setup the initial working UI using more than one databases?

Many thanks for helping me out!

• 1. Re: HowToUse seam-gen to reverse engineer multiple databases
          ary

Arvind Tiwari wrote on Jan 11, 2010 09:06:

Hi There,

Apologies, if this question has already been answered in some existing topic. I tried googling but could not find any post for the working solution!!

I am a newbie to Seam and have been exploring it for use in my current project. I need to build a UI which will dynamically connect to multiple MySQL database schema's.

Is it possible to use seam-gen to reverse engineer and generate pages for more than one MySQL database schema simultaneously?

If yes, can someone tell me the exact steps to be followed/modifications required so that seam-gen (either command line or using JBoss-Tools) can setup the initial working UI using more than one databases?

Many thanks for helping me out!

To add to my previous query, here are the steps that I am following:

1. Assuming that I want Seam to reverse engineer and generate UI for two MySQL schemas - EMP (primary) and HR.

2. Run seam-gen setup providing information about primary datasource, connection url etc.

3. Run seam-gen create-project and seam-gen generate-entities using the above configurations.

4. Now add another datasource in *-ds.xml.

5. Create one more persistence unit corresponding to new datasource (HR) in persistence-*.xml

6. Add persistence-managed-context information in components.xml

7. Create new entity converter in components.xml

8. Re-run seam-gen using command  seam-gen generate-entities restart.

On step 8, I am getting exception [hibernate]org.hibernate.exception.JDBCConnectionException: Getting database metadata

Can some one provide a clue as to where I am going wrong?
          Also, whether this is the right approach to tackle multiple database issue or is there some better/efficient way to achieve the same?

TIA for helping me out!

• 2. Re: HowToUse seam-gen to reverse engineer multiple databases
            ary

Well, finally I have been able to connect to two databases and make my demo application functional!

I would highly recommend reading the post http://www.seamframework.org/Community/MultipleDatasourcesAndPersistenceUnits if anyone else is also facing similar issue!

Thanks for all the help and posts!
            :)

• 3. Re: HowToUse seam-gen to reverse engineer multiple databases
              ary

Well, finally I have been able to connect to two databases and make my demo application functional!

I would highly recommend reading the post http://www.seamframework.org/Community/MultipleDatasourcesAndPersistenceUnits if anyone else is also facing similar issue!

Thanks for all the help and posts!
              :)