3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 4:33 PM by cosmo

Authentication with IMAP or POP3

I started to use seam as framework and jboss as app server in my school project and i dont want to create extra user profile. I mean i dont want to store username and password in my database.

I want to use my university's mail server for authentication. I want students who study in my university can login system with their mail address and password.

How can i do that?
      Any solutions will greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Authentication with IMAP or POP3
          cosmo

Well, you can try open a socket to your mailserver and then use POP3 commands to authenticate
          against it. Also, this can calrify it a bit more http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/pop.html

• 2. Re: Authentication with IMAP or POP3

Thanks Aldo,

I asked our university's IT staff and they said it wont be with pop3 commands. It must be with SMTP.
            As in the java with open socket, i think we cant do in the jboss. So i have to do something different. On the internet, there are so many examples but nothing is similar to mine. I take the usernama and password from the login page and i have to use it for authentication.

Again thanks aldo,

sincerely

• 3. Re: Authentication with IMAP or POP3
              cosmo

In that case, a good thing to try is to use a sniffer(like Wireshark) and see how your mail client is authenticating against the server. Once you have that, the rest should be as simple as put that logic in the authenticate method.