1) run disk defrag (if you're using Windows)
2) modify the min and max memory settings in run.sh, run.bat or the JBoss server view setup (click open launch config and modify the VM args).
3) default profile starts up faster than all (all has cluster feature)
4) use Ubuntu or RHEL instead of windows
5) if you're using the Sun HotSpot JVM, that has a PermGen space (JRockit does not) and the more you re-deploy your WAR/EAR, the more of that memory is used and your JBoss will slow down
6) see the JVM settings in Dan Allen's SiA book