4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 4:04 PM by slaweksss

Asynchronous call from Observer

slaweksss
      Hi, I'm trying to do the following scenario:
      [component -> observer -> asynch method]

Logic works but asynch method is called in the synch way - i know it because it slows down response time
      When I get rid of observer:
      [component -> asynch method]
      than works perfectly in asynchronous way.

DETAILS:

1. Conversation component raises event:

events.raiseTransactionSuccessEvent(EventsDictionary.DOCUMENT_RELEASED, document);

2. Event Listener calls Async. method of other component:

@Observer(EventsDictionary.DOCUMENT_RELEASED)
      public void documentReleased(Document document){
        mailSender.sendMail("documentReleased", params);
      }

3. Where mail sender is:

@Name("mailSender")
      @AutoCreate
      public class MailSender {
        @Asynchronous
        public void sendMail(String mail, Map<String, Object> params) {
          ... tricks with mail sending
        }
        • 1. Re: Asynchronous call from Observer
          lvdberg

Hi,

I solve this issue by adding an additional observer layer which is used to watch for the transaction success event, does some pre-processing (if necessary) and raise an Asynchronous event.

One of the advantages is that within the original call (with the transaction) the delay is decereased to a minimum and you're also able to call something with a new Transaction. So basically

Component --> raiseTransactionSuccess --> Component --> RaiseSyncronousEvent --> doSomething.

Hopefully this helps.

Leo

• 2. Re: Asynchronous call from Observer
            slaweksss

hmm nice trick:)
            works like a charm.
            thanks a lot Leo!

I'm wondering is it possible to add a facesMessage to some context in the last element of this chain?
            I know that last phase is asynchronous and works in different context (I guess) but it would be nice if user could see message in the n-th request in the future.

• 3. Re: Asynchronous call from Observer
              lvdberg

Hi,

adding a message to the context is a bit more complex because you're running the task asynchronous and it no notion whatsoever of the context. However you can create messages without a problem. The thing I do is to send these messages to an Application scoped bean which hols the listener for an rich ajax-poll element. The meaaage is received and added to a Map which has the user as Key and a message List to which the message is added. At the moment the user-poll is triggered it reads the list with pending messages and  adds them to the context.

Leo

• 4. Re: Asynchronous call from Observer
                slaweksss

smart, i like that:)

thanks again