10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 3:12 PM by Roger Lee

Accessing @DataModel in POJO

Roger Lee Apprentice
      Have returned to my Seam App after some months away.

Have had no trouble populating my List using a method in my EJB (3.x) as DataModel

@DataModel
      private List <Postcards> postcardsList;

and interating through it in the XHTL and displaying it using

<rich:dataTable id="dataTableYourPhotographs" value="#{postcardsList}" var="postcards" columns="5" >

However I need to access it in POJO, but it always 'null', though I can see in the EJB when I delete an item it has the a number of Entities in the list.

In the POJO method called from the XHTML page "postcardsList" is always null.

What have I missed?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Accessing @DataModel in POJO
          Leo van den berg Master

Hi,

I assume the EJB is a stateful bean, which by default has a conversation scope, while a normal bean has a event scope. I cant see the rest of your code, but it is most ceratinly the cause of your problem.

Leo

• 2. Re: Accessing @DataModel in POJO
            Roger Lee Apprentice

Leo,

Yes it's a Stateful EJB, but the scope is set to session.

@Stateful
            @Name(postcardBean)
            @Interceptors(SeamInterceptor.class)
            @JndiName(ejb/PostcardRemote)
            @Scope(ScopeType.SESSION)
            public class PostcardBean implements PostcardRemote, NOTiFYPiNPOiNTConstants, NOTiFYPiNPOiNTSQL {

• 3. Re: Accessing @DataModel in POJO
              Leo van den berg Master

Hi,

this explains why it always works. The bean is created when you start the session and stays in memory until the user signs-off. How is the list of entities created ? and have you done the same for the POJO )session scope)?

Leo

P.S:  please send in additional code because I am not a medium.

• 4. Re: Accessing @DataModel in POJO
                Roger Lee Apprentice

How is the list of entities created ? and have you done the same for the POJO )session scope)?

The Enities are created here;

@SuppressWarnings({ "unchecked" })
                @Factory("postcardsList")  
                public final List <Postcards> getPostCardsByDomain() {
                          Query query = entityManager.createQuery(GET_POSTCARDS_BY_DOMAIN);
                          query.setParameter(ONE, this.getDomain(credentials.getUsername()));

this.postcardsList = query.getResultList();
                              log.info(">>>>> getPostCardsByDomain postcardsList.size = " + postcardsList.size());

return this.postcardsList;
                }

and stored in the list;

@DataModel
                @Out (required = false)
                private List <Postcards> postcardsList;

I am trying to inject the postcardsList (the DataModel) into the POJO.

The POJO is referenced in the faces-config.xml with a scope of session;

<managed-bean>
                        <managed-bean-name>fileUploadBean</managed-bean-name>
                        <managed-bean-class>com.notifypinpoint.pojos.FileUploadBean</managed-bean-class>
                        <managed-bean-scope>session</managed-bean-scope>
                </managed-bean>

• 5. Re: Accessing @DataModel in POJO
                  Leo van den berg Master

Ok,

that makes sense now. You're not using a Seam managed bean. Try making the POJO a seam.bean by adding the name- and scope annotations and try again.

Leo

• 6. Re: Accessing @DataModel in POJO
                    Roger Lee Apprentice

Try making the POJO a seam.bean by adding the name- and scope annotations and try again.

I already had;

@Name("fileUploadBean")
                    @Scope(ScopeType.SESSION)
                    public class FileUploadBean implements NOTiFYPiNPOiNTConstants {

• 7. Re: Accessing @DataModel in POJO
                      Leo van den berg Master

Hi,

If you have the POJO as a Seam bean, why are you defining it again in faces-config.xml ?

Leo

• 8. Re: Accessing @DataModel in POJO
                        Roger Lee Apprentice

If you have the POJO as a Seam bean, why are you defining it again in faces-config.xml ?

Leo,

I realised whilst I was out I was mixing a POJO with a Seam Bean. Thanks for highlighting it to me.

My EAR won't deploy now as it says;

ERROR [[/]] Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamListener
                        java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not create Component: imagesBean

Do I have registers any Seam Componets to use a Seam Bean?

Thanks for your help.

• 9. Re: Accessing @DataModel in POJO
                          Leo van den berg Master

Hi,

you must follow the basic rules for Seam , meaning add configurations to web.xml and  - if you use facelets - the view handler setting in faces config and also the seam.properties file inside META-INF (or other jars). The seam documentation contains a clear explanation how to configure a basic seam environment and seam-gen can help you kick-start your new application.

Leo

• 10. Re: Accessing @DataModel in POJO
                            Roger Lee Apprentice

you must follow the basic rules for Seam , meaning add configurations to web.xml and  - if you use facelets - the view handler setting in faces config and also the seam.properties file inside META-INF (or other jars). The seam documentation contains a clear explanation how to configure a basic seam environment and seam-gen can help you kick-start your new application.

Cleaned up my JBoss directories etc and all is well and the Entity is being injected.

Thanks for your patience and suggestions.