4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2002 2:47 PM by tarmistead

Client UserTransaction problem.

nuanda

Hi all,

Have tried this on JBoss 2.4.2 and I still get the problem. When operating with a transaction context (UserTransaction) established from the client any ejbStore callbacks appear to be operating in a separate context to my other operations.

ie. The client:

1. Starts a transaction,
      2. Creates a entity BMP EJB,
      3. Calls a business method on the EJB,
      4. When the container then does a callback to ejbStore, ejbStore fails claiming that there is no such database row with that Bean's primary key.

The same code runs fine in the absence of the UserTransaction.

Looks to me like the data for the bean is being created in a TX context that the ejbStore() invocation is not sharing. So the container callbacks are not taking place in a transaction context where the data changes can be seen.

I could be completely mistaken of course. Has anyone had any luck working with client initiated UserTransactions ?

Dave

• 1. Re: Client UserTransaction problem.
          maouche

I have the same problem with JBOSS 2.4.1 and Oracle DBMS.
          ???

• 2. Re: Client UserTransaction problem.
            nuanda

Nod, I am using Oracle. Maybe the OracleXid mentioned in jboss.jcml has something to do with it. I will try the Tyrex transaction manager again and see if it is working in the 2.4.3 release.

• 3. Re: Client UserTransaction problem.
              jurajp

I have the same problem with a CMP Bean on JBoss 2.4.3.
              On the developer mailing list I've got an answer to this.
              As I'm just starting out with J2EE/EJB I cannot tell if it's the solution to our problem.

>>I may be wrong, but I get the sense that UserBean is
              >>a CMP Entity Bean.
              >>If so, then the problem is that programmatic
              >>transaction demarcation
              >>only applies to a BMT (Bean Managed Transaction) >>Session Bean.

>>Fred Loney

Hope this helps.

Juraj

• 4. Re: Client UserTransaction problem.
                tarmistead

Did you have any luck getting Tyrex installed and working? I tried in 2.4.4 and didn't have any luck. It seems that the xerces SAX xml parser is required. After puttig that in, I'm not getting errors about the tyrex jboss plugin not being found.

Is there any documentation on getting the tyrex transaction manager to work in JBoss 2.4.4?

Thanks,
                Tom