0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2011 12:07 AM by tbryan

Premature flush of Hibernate session even with manual flush mode in components.xml

tbryan

I have set MANUAL flush mode in components.xml.

<core:manager concurrent-request-timeout="500"
                       conversation-timeout="120000"
                       conversation-id-parameter="cid"
                       parent-conversation-id-parameter="pid"
                       default-flush-mode="MANUAL"/>

If I start a long-running conversation by calling a method annotated with @Begin, and that conversation lasts for multiple requests across multiple pages, any change made to persistent entities are flushed to the database at the end of the JSF request. 

I looked at the debug.seam page, and the flush mode for the conversation is shown as MANUAL. 

If I instead specify @Begin(flushMode=FlushModeType.MANUAL) on the same method, then the changes to persistent entities are held until I call entityManager.flush() near the end of the conversation.

The documentation seems to indicate that setting default-flush-mode="MANUAL" in components.xml is equivalent to adding flushMode=FlushModeType.MANUAL to all of my @Begin annotations.  In my system, I think that we'll almost always want FlushModeType.MANUAL, and I would prefer just to configure this setting in components.xml.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Am I doing something wrong?

I'm testing with Seam 2.2.0.  The persistence manager is set up like this:

<persistence:managed-persistence-context name="entityManager" auto-create="true"
                            persistence-unit-jndi-name="java:/fooManagerFactory"/>

and

<persistence-unit name="foo">
            <provider>org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence</provider>
            <jta-data-source>java:/fooDatasource</jta-data-source>
            <properties>
               <property name="hibernate.ejb.cfgfile" value="/META-INF/hibernate.cfg.xml"/>
               <property name="hibernate.dialect" value="org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLDialect"/>
               <property name="hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto" value="create-drop"/>
               <property name="hibernate.show_sql" value="true"/>
               <property name="hibernate.format_sql" value="true"/>
               <property name="hibernate.default_catalog" value="FOO"/>
               <property name="jboss.entity.manager.factory.jndi.name" value="java:/fooEntityManagerFactory"/>
            </properties>
         </persistence-unit>