13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2012 4:52 PM by adamw

How do I configure envers in Configuration class

ijabz

Trying to use Envers, trouble is the documentation shows you what to do if you are using hibernate.cfg.xml or persistence.xml but Im just using properties with the Configuration class, whilst this is analagous to hibernate.cfg.xml I cant work out how to setup the enver listeners

I have two tests, one to create the database which does not create any _AUD tables currently even though the tables have @Audited annotation added, and my second test that trys to get a revision unsuprisingly fails with

org.hibernate.exception.SQLGrammarException: Table/View 'COVERIMAGE_AUD' does not exist.

This is my config class

public static Configuration getInitializedConfiguration()

{

Configuration config = new Configuration();

config.setProperty("hibernate.connection.driver_class","org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver");

config.setProperty("hibernate.connection.url","jdbc:derby:C:/User/MESH/Database/songlayer");

config.setProperty("hibernate.dialect","org.hibernate.dialect.DerbyDialect");

//config.setProperty("org.hibernate.service.jdbc.connections.internal.ConnectionProviderInitiator","org.hibernate.service.jdbc.connections.internal.C3P0ConnectionProvider");

config.setProperty("hibernate.connection.username","jaikoz");

config.setProperty("hibernate.c3p0.min_size","20");

config.setProperty("hibernate.c3p0.max_size","100");

config.setProperty("hibernate.c3p0.timeout","300");

config.setProperty("hibernate.c3p0.max_statements","50");

config.setProperty("hibernate.c3p0.idle_test_period","3000");

config.setProperty("hibernate.show_sql","true");

config.setProperty("hibernate.ejb.event.post-insert","org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener");

config.setProperty("hibernate.ejb.event.post-update","org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener");

config.setProperty("hibernate.ejb.event.post-delete","org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener");

config.setProperty("hibernate.ejb.event.pre-collection-update","org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener");

config.setProperty("hibernate.ejb.event.pre-collection-remove","org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener");

config.setProperty("hibernate.ejb.event.post-collection-recreate","org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener");

//config.setProperty("hibernate.format_sql","true");

config.addAnnotatedClass(SongParent.class);

config.addAnnotatedClass(Song.class);

config.addAnnotatedClass(CoverImage.class);

config.addAnnotatedClass(CoverArt.class);

return config;

}

• 1. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
          adamw

Which version of Envers? Though it looks fine.

Take a look at Envers tests, they create a Configuratin object by hand as well:

https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/blob/3.6/hibernate-envers/src/test/java/org/hibernate/envers/test/AbstractEntityTest.java

Adam

• 2. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
            ijabz

Hmm, this example uses EJb3Configuration but Im using org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration

Its also for Hibernate 3.6 rather than 4.0

I found the 4.0 one which introduces a whole load more concepts that Im not particular interested in

https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/blob/4.0/hibernate-envers/src/matrix/java/org/hibernate/envers/test/AbstractEntityTest.java

Back to the question , can I do all this through a Configuration class (even if its deprecated) or not.

• 3. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
              ijabz

Found this class now

https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/blob/4.0/hibernate-envers/src/matrix/java/org/hibernate/envers/test/AbstractSessionTest.java

Which seems to be the thing I want except it doesnt seem to congigure any envers stuff except the Audit Strategy (whihc I htink is optional) so how does it work ?

• 4. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
                adamw

Look in the 3.6 branch.

Adam

• 5. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
                  ijabz

Ive looked and I dont see a solution, can you be a bit more fortcoming please.

• 6. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
                    ijabz

So relunctantly I've given up on trying to configure everything within code directly and instead created a hibernate.cfg.xml file containing

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

<!DOCTYPE hibernate-configuration PUBLIC

"-//Hibernate/Hibernate Configuration DTD//EN"

"http://www.hibernate.org/dtd/hibernate-configuration-3.0.dtd">

<hibernate-configuration>

<session-factory>

<listener class="org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener" type="post-insert"/>

<listener class="org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener" type="post-update"/>

<listener class="org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener" type="post-delete"/>

<listener class="org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener" type="pre-collection-update"/>

<listener class="org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener" type="pre-collection-remove"/>

<listener class="org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener" type="post-collection-recreate"/>

</session-factory>

</hibernate-configuration>

Then in my code is

public static Configuration getInitializedConfiguration()

{

Configuration config = new Configuration();

URL url = Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().getResource("hibernate.cfg.xml");

try

{

File file = new File(url.toURI());

config.configure(file);

}

catch(Exception e)

{

e.printStackTrace();

}

config.setProperty("hibernate.connection.driver_class","org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver");

config.setProperty("hibernate.connection.url","jdbc:derby:C:/User/MESH/Database/songlayer");

config.setProperty("hibernate.dialect","org.hibernate.dialect.DerbyDialect");

//config.setProperty("org.hibernate.service.jdbc.connections.internal.ConnectionProviderInitiator","org.hibernate.service.jdbc.connections.internal.C3P0ConnectionProvider");

config.setProperty("hibernate.connection.username","jaikoz");

config.setProperty("hibernate.c3p0.min_size","20");

config.setProperty("hibernate.c3p0.max_size","100");

config.setProperty("hibernate.c3p0.timeout","300");

config.setProperty("hibernate.c3p0.max_statements","50");

config.setProperty("hibernate.c3p0.idle_test_period","3000");

config.setProperty("hibernate.show_sql","true");

config.setProperty("org.hibernate.envers.audit_strategy", "org.hibernate.envers.strategy.ValidityAuditStrategy");

//config.setProperty("hibernate.format_sql","true");

config.addAnnotatedClass(SongParent.class);

config.addAnnotatedClass(Song.class);

config.addAnnotatedClass(CoverImage.class);

config.addAnnotatedClass(CoverArt.class);

return config;

}

yet still when I call

new SchemaExport(config).create(true, true);

it doesnt create the AUD tables

• 7. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
                      ijabz

org.hibernate.envers.event.AuditEventListener  doesn'tt even seem to exist in Hibernate 4.0 so how you are meant to run this in Hibernate 4.0 is a mystery, Ive gone back to 3.6 but still not working, here is relevant part of my maven pom

<dependency>

<groupId>org.hibernate</groupId>

<artifactId>hibernate-core</artifactId>

<version>3.6.0.Final</version>

</dependency>

<dependency>

<artifactId>hibernate-envers</artifactId>

</dependency>

<dependency>

<artifactId>hibernate-c3p0</artifactId>

</dependency>

• 8. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
                        ijabz

Well it ocurred to me that the documentation glossed over creating the schema and didnt provide an example. Also there was nothing special I was doing when I called new SchemaExport(config).create(true, true) and I couldnt see how adding the event listeners or annotations would effect this.

Eventually I found the problem you have to add

config.setProperty(Environment.HBM2DDL_AUTO, "create-drop");

to the configuration.

But this doesnt seem to be documented anywhere !

• 9. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
                          adamw

Ah, so you want to do a schema export. You didn't mention this before.

So you can do it two ways:

* hbm2dll auto - set it to "update", and the schema will only be updated with changes, nothing will be dropped

* use the hibernate ant tool task: http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/4.0/devguide/en-US/html/ch15.html#envers-generateschema

Also, Envers configuration in 3.6 and 4 is different. 3.6 requires the listeners, 4 requires just the jar on the classpath. That's described in the docs

Adam

• 10. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
                            ijabz

Well I did state in the first post and in a number of mentions that no  _AUD tables were created, that was the problem.

It didn't occur for me to read the section on ant because I dont use ant I use maven, dont you think you should document the hbm2dll option rather than expect people to use ant

• 11. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
                              adamw

Well hbm2ddl is a Hibernate-Core feature, so it is documented in the core docs. The _AUD tables are created in the same way any other tables are.

Adam

• 12. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
                                ijabz

No thats the point, I create my tables from my classes using:

new SchemaExport(config).create(true, true);

which is the only way I knew to create tables from classes BUT that doesnt create the Audit Tables

• 13. Re: How do I configure envers in Configuration class
                                  adamw

Ah! Just do AuditConfiguration.getFor(config) before runnig SchemaExport and you'll be good.

Adam