1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 6, 2001 4:47 PM by dsundstrom

Open Source Production Database (Hypersonic or ? )

kryptontri

Hi All,

I just wanted to get your opinions and/or experiences.

I plan to deploy a site early next year. Assuming I am going for a clustered architecture whereby I will start off with 2 instances of jboss on the same box {may or may not be integerated with tomcat/jetty}, or possibly apache and 1 instance of hypersonic.

So i may use something like

1) Apache ------ > tomcat/jboss ---------> hypersonic
      |-----------> tomcat/jboss

2) jetty/tomcat/jboss -------------------> hypersonic

Has anybody had experience of hypersonic in production and encountered any performance problems ? What about locking issues with respect to 2 jboss instances sharing this data source ? I don't know much about postgres but I assume it supports FOR UPDATE and so maybe this is an alternative ? As you can guess I am trying to avoid licensing costs as the site will not generate much/any revenue.

Thanks for any info !

• 1. Re: Open Source Production Database (Hypersonic or ? )
          dsundstrom

I personally would use Postgresql as it supports more production features like hot backup, and has way more production implementations.

As for locking, Postgresql does support FOR UPDATE, and I plan on adding some optimistic locking strategies based on column comparison, which will support autonumber and timestamp last update.