3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2012 11:39 AM by jbertram

When will a new official download version be available

skidvd

Just curious if anyone has an idea when a new official download version may be available?  I know much great work and bug fixes has occurred since 2.2.5, but we are precluded on this project from using anything but official releases.

• 1. Re: When will a new official download version be available
          jbertram

I'm not positive when the next official release will be, but in the mean-time you could use AS 7.1.1.Final which includes HornetQ 2.2.13.  It's very light-weight and can be slimmed down to be even lighter-weight if necessary.  Just download it and run:

<JBOSS_HOME>/bin/standalone.sh -c standalone-full.xml

• 2. Re: When will a new official download version be available
            cwong15

Some of us don't have the option of switching to a different container. We cannot merely run AS7 as a standalone message broker because HornetQ REST requires an embedded broker, so it must run within our supported container. Is this the future of HornetQ: that preferred official releases will only come embedded in JBoss?

• 3. Re: When will a new official download version be available
              jbertram

I understad your point and I sympathize, but I still don't have an ETA for the next official release.  I will need to discuss it with Clebert when he returns from holiday. 

To be clear, we plan on changing HornetQ REST to be able to use a remote (i.e. non-embedded) broker so this shouldn't be a stumbling block in the future.  You'll be able to run HornetQ REST in whatever servlet container you like and then integrate with any HornetQ broker you like (whether embedded, standalone, or running in AS7, etc.).

I would not say that in the future preferred official releases will only come embedded in JBoss.  I'm sorry if my previous message gave that impression.  This has been an exceptional season for HornetQ.  We've been busy performing releases for AS7 as well as EAP (the commercially supported JBoss platform from Red Hat), transitioning trunk from Ant to Maven, and preparing to move from SVN to Git.  The extra releases have been the real time sinks because of all the QA work involved.  The good news is that all users should benefit from the work as we've resolved numerous bugs, etc.

All that to say an official release is coming, but I can't say exactly when.