0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2012 11:35 AM by helga.w.

End-of life issues for Stateful Session Beans

helga.w.

I am in the progress of migrating an application from jBoss 4.x to jBoss 7.1

One of the issues I am having is that I am unsure if  stateful session beans are destroyed in an orderly fashion.  Specifically, it seems to me that I can't access member variables from a method annotated with @PreDestroy.

This is the example that I have created to reproduce this:

I have a session bean with a livespan of 1 minute.  When it is destroyed, it should do some cleanup (most notably I need to inform a remote API that some limited resources can be released).

I log the entry into the @PostDestroy method, but whenever I try to access a member variable (even just to log the value), nothing happens, and all further logs are not printed, so it looks like the cleanup thread just hangs. 

On the client side I have some test code that creates the bean, sleeps for 2 minutes (to make sure the session bean is dead) and then try to access the (now assumed dead) session bean.  I get a notification from jBoss  "ERROR [org.jboss.as.ejb3.component.interceptors.LoggingInterceptor.processInvocation(LoggingInterceptor.java:66)] (ajp --127.0.0.1-8009-4) JBAS014134: EJB Invocation failed on component TestBean for method public abstract Error com.acme.Test.getLastMessage(): javax.ejb.NoSuchEJBException: Could not find SFSB TestBean with {[-49, 41, -116, -64, 26, -7, 65, 92, -87, 58, 123, 91, -88, 4, -77, 55]}"

This happens even though the the method call is wrapped in a try/catch to handle NoSuchEJBException.

So the questions I have are the following

• What am I doing wrong?  This worked fine in 4.2.x
      • Should I assume that the bean is already dead in @PreDestroy?  If so, when should I do my cleanup?
      • Am I accumulating an army of zombie TestBeans, stuck between the world of the living and the dead?
      • What is the meaning of the Stack dump EJB Invocation failed on component... Why is it logged even though I am handling this exception in my code?

I am using jBoss AS 7.1.1 (jboss-as-7.1.1.Final)

Here is the relevant code

The session bean

@Stateful

@TransactionManagement

@StatefulTimeout(unit = TimeUnit.MINUTES, value = 1)

public class TestBean implements Test, TestLocal

{

@PersistenceContext(unitName = "userPU")

private EntityManager emUser;

private static final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(TapBean.class);

private UUID uuid;

private DateTime liveSince;

// other stuff

public TestBean()

{

logger.info ("Creating a new instance of Test");

uuid = UUID.randomUUID();

liveSince = new DateTime();

}

@PrePassivate

public void passivate()

{

logger.info("passivating");

// never called

}

@PreDestroy

public void destroy()

{

DateTime now = new DateTime();

logger.info("destroying ");   // this I see

cleanup();

logger.info("destroy took "  + new Duration(now, new DateTime()));  // this is never logged

}

@Remove

public void remove()

{

logger.info("timeout");

// never called

}

public void cleanup()

{

logger.info("Passivating '" + uuid + "' after " + new Duration(liveSince, new DateTime()).getStandardMinutes());  // never logged

// notify remote API to release resources

}

The web side code:

Test mySFSB = (Test) session.getAttribute("Test");

Error error = null;

logger.info("sleeping");

Thread.sleep(2*60000L);

logger.info("done sleeping");

try

{

logger.info("About to get last message" );

error = mySFSB.getLastMessage();

logger.info("done getting last message" );

}

catch (NoSuchEJBException e)

{

logger.error("Caught NoSuchEJBException " + e.getMessage());

}

catch (Exception e)

{

logger.error("Got " + e.getMessage());

}

Here is a log:

13:53:50,834 INFO  [com.acme.server.TestBean.<init>(TestBean.java:140)] (ajp--127.0.0.1-8009-4) Creating a new instance of Test

.... do some server stuff

13:54:06,731 INFO  [com.acme.web.PageAction.execute(PageAction.java:266)] (ajp--127.0.0.1-8009-4) sleeping

13:54:55,740 INFO  [com.acme.server.TestBean.destroy(TestBean.java:158)] (pool-19-thread-1) destroying

// notice lack of a log message from the method cleanup()

13:56:06,730 INFO  [com.acme.web.PageAction.execute(PageAction.java:268)] (ajp--127.0.0.1-8009-4) done sleeping

13:58:50,243 INFO  [com.acme.web.PageAction.execute(PageAction.java:271)] (ajp--127.0.0.1-8009-4) About to get last message

// Here we know mySFSB is dead, but we think we are handling this gracefully 

// Annoying ERROR log from jBoss, the meaning of which is not clear

13:58:50,246 ERROR [org.jboss.as.ejb3.component.interceptors.LoggingInterceptor.processInvocation(LoggingInterceptor.java:66)] (ajp--127.0.0.1-8009-4) JBAS014134: EJB Invocation failed on component TestBean for method public abstract com.acme.server.data.TestError com.acme.server.Test.getLastMessage(): javax.ejb.NoSuchEJBException: Could not find SFSB TestBean with {[-49, 41, -116, -64, 26, -7, 65, 92, -87, 58, 123, 91, -88, 4, -77, 55]}

at org.jboss.as.ejb3.component.stateful.StatefulComponentInstanceInterceptor.processInvocation(StatefulComponentInstanceInterceptor.java:62) [jboss-as-ejb3-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]

at org.jboss.invocation.InterceptorContext.proceed(InterceptorContext.java:288) [jboss-invocation-1.1.1.Final.jar:1.1.1.Final]

at org.jboss.as.ejb3.tx.CMTTxInterceptor.invokeInOurTx(CMTTxInterceptor.java:228) [jboss-as-ejb3-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]

at org.jboss.as.ejb3.tx.CMTTxInterceptor.requiresNew(CMTTxInterceptor.java:333) [jboss-as-ejb3-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]

at org.jboss.as.ejb3.tx.CMTTxInterceptor.processInvocation(CMTTxInterceptor.java:192) [jboss-as-ejb3-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]

at org.jboss.invocation.InterceptorContext.proceed(InterceptorContext.java:288) [jboss-invocation-1.1.1.Final.jar:1.1.1.Final]

at org.jboss.as.ejb3.remote.EJBRemoteTransactionPropagatingInterceptor.processInvocation(EJBRemoteTransactionPropagatingInterceptor.java:80) [jboss-as-ejb3-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]

at org.jboss.as.ejb3.component.interceptors.CurrentInvocationContextInterceptor.processInvocation(CurrentInvocationContextInterceptor.java:41) [jboss-as-ejb3-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]

at org.jboss.as.ejb3.component.interceptors.LoggingInterceptor.processInvocation(LoggingInterceptor.java:59) [jboss-as-ejb3-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]

at org.jboss.as.ee.component.NamespaceContextInterceptor.processInvocation(NamespaceContextInterceptor.java:50) [jboss-as-ee-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]

at org.jboss.as.ejb3.component.interceptors.AdditionalSetupInterceptor.processInvocation(AdditionalSetupInterceptor.java:32) [jboss-as-ejb3-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]

.... more stack stuff removed

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:930) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680) [classes.jar:1.6.0_29]

// Exception NoSuchEJBException caught

13:58:50,389 ERROR [com.acme.web.PageAction.execute(PageAction.java:277)] (ajp--127.0.0.1-8009-4) Caught NoSuchEJBException Got Could not find SFSB TestBean with {[-49, 41, -116, -64, 26, -7, 65, 92, -87, 58, 123, 91, -88, 4, -77, 55]}