3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 7:33 AM by Maciej Swiderski

Timer BoundaryEvent and User Tasks

Jett Gamboa Newbie

Does anyone know if Timer BoundaryEvents can work when attached to User Tasks? I created a simple process model (see attached) with the said scenario and KnowledgeBuilder is unable to parse the process file.

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0

at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(ArrayList.java:547)

at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:322)

at org.jbpm.bpmn2.xml.ProcessHandler.linkBoundaryEvents(ProcessHandler.java:333)

at org.jbpm.bpmn2.xml.ProcessHandler.end(ProcessHandler.java:144)

at org.drools.xml.ExtensibleXmlParser.endElement(ExtensibleXmlParser.java:417)

I traced into source the issue and it fails in the following method from within ProcessHandler.java

public static void linkBoundaryEvents(NodeContainer nodeContainer) {

for (Node node: nodeContainer.getNodes()) {

if (node instanceof EventNode) {

final String attachedTo = (String) node.getMetaData().get("AttachedTo");

if (attachedTo != null) {

String type = ((EventTypeFilter)

((EventNode) node).getEventFilters().get(0)).getType();

There appears to be no issues attaching Timers to other types of tasks.

(edited) I just tried it for other task types (Service Task, ... ) and I am getting the same error. The only way I can get it to work is if I put the nodes inside a subprocess and attach the BoundaryEvent to the subprocess. I looked at all the samples used in the junit tests of JBPM and all samples have boundary events attached to a subprocess. Is this a JBPM5 limitation (as of the current version) or is this a BPMN rule? (I remember distinctly seeing samples of BPMN2 diagrams with timers attach to tasks.

Thanks in advance for any insights into this.

• 1. Re: Timer BoundaryEvent and User Tasks
          Maciej Swiderski Master

Yes, from 5.3 boundary events are supported on tasks. Looking at your process it seems like there is not timer definition given:

<boundaryEvent id="boundaryEvent_1" name="Boundary event" attachedToRef="userTask_1"> 
                <outgoing>sequenceFlow_4</outgoing> 
                <timerEventDefinition id="timerEventDefinition_1"/> 
              </boundaryEvent>

and it should look like this:

<boundaryEvent id="_4" name="TimerEvent" attachedToRef="_2" >
                <timerEventDefinition>
                  <timeCycle xsi:type="tFormalExpression">500ms</timeCycle>
                </timerEventDefinition>
              </boundaryEvent>

once you'll fix the process definition you'll be able to execute boundary events on a task.

HTH

• 2. Re: Timer BoundaryEvent and User Tasks
            Jett Gamboa Newbie

Thanks Maciej. That did the trick.

I didn't put in the definition earlier because I was creating a script that automatically included other required nodes (e.g. message, operation, and item definitions) based on the activities in the process. The process file I attached was actually an output of that script. It looks like I also need to automatically include a timeCycle node when I find a timerEventDefinition.

The only item I'm stuck now is how to get two start nodes to work (one "normal" start and one message start).

Again, many thanks for your your response.

• 3. Re: Timer BoundaryEvent and User Tasks
              Maciej Swiderski Master

For multiple start events you need to wait for 5.4 version or use snapshot version from master as it was introduced quite recently.