4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2012 3:27 PM by borisha

EAP6 and syslog

borisha

Hi,

what is the recommended way to use EAP6 and redirect logs to syslog?

We use SLF4J and we still want to use JBoss CLI to manage logging subsystem. I tried to find syslog appender for jboss log-manager but it looks like it is not there. Log4j syslog appender can not be used unless we go through very painful process of using log4j in EAP6. And there are not JUL syslog appenders.

Any ideas?

thanks

• 1. Re: EAP6 and syslog
          jamezp

There is no way to currently do this I can think of. There has been an issue raised to allow log4j appenders to be used as custom handlers.

If the location of the logs is an issue, you can change where they are written to if that helps at all. I realize that's not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe it could work in the interim until the issue gets resolved.

--

James R. Perkins

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: EAP6 and syslog
            davidmac

We have the same requirement and I have seen this: https://github.com/kifj/jboss-syslog but haven't investigated yet.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: EAP6 and syslog
              jamezp

Interesting little project. Thanks for letting me know about that. It looks like it might only work in Linux environments, but looks like a nice simple approach to it.

--

James R. Perkins

• 4. Re: EAP6 and syslog
                borisha

Thanks James,

I voted for the issue to be resolved. Hopefully it makes EAP soon, otherwise it looks like we'll have to do a lot of not-so-elegant fixes.

We would not mind using slf4j with log4j bridge but in that case:

1) we can not use jboss CLI for logger configuration

2) it looks like almost impossible job to make applications use log4j and find log4j.properties