4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2012 8:20 AM by jfalek

AS7 with Java 6 or Java 7

jfalek

We will be migrating 7 web services from AS 5 to AS7.  As part of this effort, I am interested in getting people's recommendations on using Java 6 or Java 7?  The key issues for us are performance and supportability.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,

James

• 1. Re: AS& with Java 6 or Java 7
          nickarls

Java 7 (unless there is a very specific reason not to). Java 6 should have been EOL:d already but it got extended but the End Is Near anyway

• 2. Re: AS& with Java 6 or Java 7
            jfalek

Thank you.  I did not realize that Java 6 was EOL!

One follow-up question: the number of options for JDK (SDK/SE) has increased since the last time I looked.  The original web services that we are porting were built using AS5 and JDK5.  Do you recommnend AS7 with

• Java 7 SE
            • Java EE 6 SDK with JDK 7 or
            • Java EE 6 Profile SDK with Java 7
            • 3. Re: AS& with Java 6 or Java 7
              ctomc

Hi,

best jvm for running AS7 at the moment is still Oracle JDK6, but as Nicklas said it will be EOL soon. Current EOL time is february 2013 http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

JDK7 is supported with AS7 but still depends on platform are your running it might not be recommended, for instance currently jdk7 for macosx has few terrible bugs in nio impl that prevents most of communication(remoting) in as7 but can be somewhat workaround.

as for what jdk to download, use Java 7/6 SE JDK, other oracle options (EE*) are just extra download with some ee components / tools that are needed to run app server.

--

tomaz

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AS& with Java 6 or Java 7
                jfalek

Thank you - since we'll be on a large Linux server, we'll stick to Java 7 SE.