0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 2:23 AM by nickarls

About that rename thingie

nickarls

Unless you have been living under a rock (or having a long nights sleep) you have probably heard about the JBoss AS rename initiative (http://www.jboss.org/vote)

So, what do you think about it? Will it be worth the effort? Even if the FAQ vaguely mentions the issue with package names, configuration options, env variables, maven artifacts, the result will probably remain a hybrid for the rest of its lifespan. Personally, I can't recall that many projects that have been renamed successfully in that "oh, why didn't we call it that in the first place!?"-kind of way. Usually you end up with something that pleases marketing, e.g. JBoss CloudMaster 2012 or then some vague reference to something that noone really gets.

It's hard to think of a more fitting name than the "JBoss AS" because, well, that's what it is ;-) You still have to refer to the AS somehow.

"It has to be fixed in CloudMaster"

"Where?"

"In the application server"

"Why didn't you say so in the first place"

"I would have but it got renamed"

I have no doubt that the rename will still take place. Even if JBoss/RedHat is a very community-oriented company you will see the analogy if you have ever put your kid in one of those shopping carts in the mall that look like a car, complete with a steering wheel and all