5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 10:13 AM by kcbabo

Tools - setting app namespace after project creation

kcbabo

Should we allow this?  I can't seem to find an option to specify this at project creation time or editing an existing project.  I submit that we should allow both.

• 1. Re: Tools - setting app namespace after project creation
          bfitzpat

How much refactoring would need to be done if they change the name of the application to the config or any related classes? I'm guessing quite a bit. Isn't the application namespace referenced frequently?

• 2. Re: Tools - setting app namespace after project creation
            kcbabo

Good question.  Namespace is defined in the switchyard.xml in the switchyard and composite elements.  Both values need to be the same, so it's essentially one field.  This value is never referenced inside of services or bindings and it is not generated.  IOW, it's 100% safe to specify in the new project dialog and via a composite property setting.  Only possible complication I can think of for the edit use case is Rob's merge/update code for user and generated config.  Not sure how that is indexed, so that's a consideration.

• 3. Re: Tools - setting app namespace after project creation
              rcernich

Hey Keith, please submit a JIRA requesting this enhancement.

Hey Brian, given we don't really support refactoring, I don't think allowing the user to change the namespace is a problem.  Also, I don't think the application namespace is really referenced anywhere.  The key places it would show up is in WSDL creation, which uses the application namespace as the default namespace for the WSDL and associated schema.  The namspaces in the schema will show up in transforms, etc., so changing the namespace in a schema is far more impacting.

Best,

Rob

• 4. Re: Tools - setting app namespace after project creation
                rcernich

Hey Keith,

No issue with the merge.  We keep a parallel copy of the generated file in memory, that we keep up to date with the modifications made in the editor.  Theoretically, after a save, the in memory copy should exactly match the rebuilt file.  The only time things get interesting is when a scanner adds configuration (which by default would only occur for Java transformers) or a scanner changes the order of generated elements.  Both of those cases should be handled by the merge code, and if not, it's a bug.

Best,

Rob

• 5. Re: Tools - setting app namespace after project creation
                  kcbabo

Cool.  Wanted to check with you guys before filing the request.   Here it is:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/SWITCHYARD-1104

On a separate note, I wonder if we should kill the idea of targetNamespace and name at the application level.  We will never have more than one top-level composite definition per application.