2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 5:16 PM by Clebert Suconic

Performance : Filters vs Addresses

Jeff Hohenstein Newbie

I have a messaging application that is already built around the HornetQ Core API. I am currently investigating its design to add some features and to greatly increase its usage. For that reason, I am very interested in its performance characteristics.

The application has a fairly large number of different services behind the Bus. The number of those services is only going to increase. Currently, the addressing scheme used by clients of those services addresses messages using a scheme like:

"<service_name>.service"

e.g.

"chat.service"

I have been thinking that there could be benefits to filtering messages by message type and version.

Some services other than the chat service might be interested in a subset of all chat messages - e.g. "join room" but not "speak".

I would also like to be able to identify the handle different versions of services by indicating version in the message. This would require filtering the messages by version number.

The overriding question in my mind is whether this kind of filtering, by type, version, service, etc, is better done through HornetQ addresses or filters. I have read that in many JMS implementations the filtering expression is applied on the "client". I am concerned that, if I were to create very general addresses that the number of messages rejected with a filter on the client would far outweigh the number of messages retained.

Where are filters performed in HornetQ - on the client or on the Bus server?