5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 11:26 AM by dan.berindei

Two servernodes,hotrod and a big database

Hello,

I try to use infinispan for a distributed data storage management.

Here's the situation:

We have two server machines delivering a big big database.

My task is to "publish"  that data from both servers as a cloud service, so that a client can ask for a key and gets its data from one of that nodes.

The data in the database is already distributed, meaning that the db contains different key/value pairs.

It's my first time with infinispan.

I have a client that can connect to two servernodes by hotrod protocol.

Because the data is too big to fit into memory, I played with the CacheLoaders (File & BDB) but realized that it just takes too much time to read all data from db into memory (and its a waste of hdd space).

So I decided to make an own CacheLoader, so that I can lazy load the data (when the load(Object key) method is called)

This worked fine with one server. But when I tried to work with two servers, I realized that the client doesn't ask the second servernode, if he gets no data from the first (return null in load method).

I tried the Interceptor pattern with the same result (Tried with visitGetKeyValueCommand()).

Now please help me: I need a mechanism to make the client ask the second node as well so get valid data.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Two servernodes,hotrod and a big database

Here's my configuration

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<infinispan

xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

xsi:schemaLocation="urn:infinispan:config:5.1 http://www.infinispan.org/schemas/infinispan-config-5.1.xsd"

xmlns="urn:infinispan:config:5.1">

<global>

<transport clusterName="myCloud" distributedSyncTimeout="50000"  transportClass="org.infinispan.remoting.transport.jgroups.JGroupsTransport">

<properties>

<property name="configurationFile" value="jgroups-tcp.xml"/>

</properties>

</transport>

</global>

<namedCache name="test">

<clustering mode="distribution">

</clustering>

<eviction

maxEntries="10000"

strategy="LRU"/>

<expiration

wakeUpInterval="500"

lifespan="60000"

maxIdle="10000"/>

<loaders

preload="false"

passivation="false">

<loader

class="MyCacheLoader"

ignoreModifications="true"

fetchPersistentState="false"

purgeOnStartup="false">

</loader>   

</loaders>

<!--

<customInterceptors>

<interceptor position="FIRST" class="MyInterceptor">

</interceptor>

</customInterceptors>

-->

</namedCache>

• 2. Re: Two servernodes,hotrod and a big database

I created a really small project so that anybody can try this on his own.

When you build the project (mvn clean package) you'll get a zip containing directories for one client and two servers.

In each server there's a storage.properties file containting a tiny amount of different key/value pairs

Start two servers in different machines (VirtualMachines maybe):

java -jar infinispan_test-0.0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar server <ip_address>

Then start the client

java -jar infinispan_test-0.0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar client <server_ip_address_1> <server_ip_address_2>

The client retrieves a Remotecache and queries 3 keys (from different storage)

It looks like an error to me, that the client doesn't ask the second node, if the return value is null.

Or do I have to return a special value in my ChacheLoader?

Maybe its just a misconfiguration?

Please help me with this.

• 3. Re: Two servernodes,hotrod and a big database
              dan.berindei

Hi Astaldo

The HotRod client assumes that it receives the correct data from the server, and null is considered a valid value. It's the server's job to get the data from whatever source it has to.

You can configure a ClusteredCacheLoader on the server, which will force a remote lookup on all the other nodes before returning a null to the client. However, since the distribution of entries in Infinispan won't match the distribution of entries in your database, I'd recommend switching from DIST_SYNC to INVALIDATION_SYNC.

• 4. Re: Two servernodes,hotrod and a big database

Thanks for your hint, dan.

I configured the ClusterCacheLoader in my xml and added a CustomInterceptor, to lazyload the data from the db.

It works now, although I had problem with the return value type.

Situation:

Client connects to Node1 and retrieves multiple keys

Case 1:

Key is found on node1. Return value has to be of type CacheValue.

If not I get a ClassCastException

2012-11-26 16:34:49,398 DEBUG (New I/O  worker #1) [org.infinispan.server.hotrod.HotRodDecoder] Exception caught org.infinispan.server.hotrod.HotRodException: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.infinispan.container.entries.MortalCacheEntry cannot be cast to org.infinispan.server.core.CacheValue

at org.infinispan.server.hotrod.HotRodDecoder.createServerException(HotRodDecoder.scala:214)

at org.infinispan.server.core.AbstractProtocolDecoder.decode(AbstractProtocolDecoder.scala:77)

Case 2

Key is not found on node1. The interceptor of node2 is triggered now. The return value has to be CacheEntry now.

Otherwise: ClassCastException

2012-11-26 15:54:18,857 ERROR [RpcManagerImpl] (New I/O  worker #1) ISPN000073: Unexpected error while replicating java.lang.ClassCastException: org.infinispan.server.core.CacheValue cannot be cast to  org.infinispan.container.entries.CacheEntry                                                    

at org.infinispan.commands.remote.ClusteredGetCommand.perform(ClusteredGetCommand.java:131)        

at org.infinispan.commands.remote.ClusteredGetCommand.perform(ClusteredGetCommand.java:59)       

at org.infinispan.remoting.InboundInvocationHandlerImpl.handleInternal(InboundInvocationHandlerImpl.java:101)

I dont know why there's a difference in the return value type.

My workaround is to check ctx.getOrigin().

Seems that it's  null if it's local.

But that looks like a dirty workaround. Any other hints?

Thanks, Astaldo

• 5. Re: Two servernodes,hotrod and a big database
                  dan.berindei

Astaldo, it seems that we have two get commands: GetKeyValueCommand and GetCacheEntryCommand. As implied by their names, one of them returns a CacheValue and the other returns a CacheEntry.

GetCacheEntryCommand seems to be called only from ClusteredGetCommand, so your ctx.getOrigin() check will work, but it's better to check the command type.

1 of 1 people found this helpful