9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 7:35 AM by ataylor

Is it possible to send secure message?

rajaswin07

Hi guys,  I have a requirement to send a message meant only for a particular subscriber.  For example:  Mesg X meant for User X.  Only User X should be able to retrieve this message.

Is it possible to use Hornet to send that?

Thank you so much.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to send secure message?
          ataylor

simply configure security on your queue so that only USer X can consume from it

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to send secure message?
            rajaswin07

Thank you Andy.  I don't think I have a complete understanding of queues.  Believe me I have been reading much about HornetQ and also JMS in general.    My requirement is as follows.  If you or someone can guide me I would be indebted to you guys.

I have about 100 subscibers.  I have a publisher who will need to be able to send different messages to different people in this group of subscribers.  So i am thinking that we need a queue for this task.  But I am not sure how to send a message to this queue meant for Person A and only Person A should be able to receive that.  Is this doable?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Is it possible to send secure message?
              jbertram

As with the message encryption, there is nothing built into HornetQ to specifically enable this use-case.  However, if you trust your subscribers then you can use a topic and each subscriber can use a message selector ("filter" in HornetQ terms) on a special message property to receive the messages that belong to him.  When you send the message you can set the special message property so that it will only match for the subscribers you want to receive the message.

Without more specifics about your use-case I can't suggest much more than that.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to send secure message?
                rajaswin07

A publisher has to send messages to a group of 1000 or more members.  Now every day they will receive about 10 messages that everyone in the group needs to receive.  Every so often the publisher also wants to send specific messages meant to only select members in the group that only the receipient should retrieve.

Does this mean that i need to create one topic so that all the 1000+ members can get the sommon messages and one queue each for each subscriber so that the publisher can send private messages?  Is this a good way?  That seems like overkill for what I am trying to accomplish.

I hope I am doing a good job explaining my requirement.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to send secure message?
                  ataylor

using the same topic to publish these messages doesnt make sense, you should create an "admin" topic, for want of a better name, that each client that is interested in these messages would subscribe too.

• 6. Re: Is it possible to send secure message?
                    rajaswin07

Ok.  So I can create an "admin" topic for common messages but how about for personal messaging?  Would I have to setup 1000 queues, one for each subscriber?  Thanks for your time.

• 7. Re: Is it possible to send secure message?
                      ataylor

im not sure what you mean by personal messaging, simply create the topics you need and have clients subscribe to the ones they have interest in, if you need finer grained then use queues or message selectors.

• 8. Re: Is it possible to send secure message?
                        rajaswin07

Thank you Andy.  Let me play around and if I have questions I will open another discussion.

• 9. Re: Is it possible to send secure message?
                          ataylor

Like I have already said, you can apply roles for specific users on an address level, if you want only a specific user to consume a message then it should either use a different queue or use message selectors