6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 6:19 PM by dcorner

REST and STOMP on HornetQ

Can we run both REST and STOMP in the same HornetQ instance?  The documentation indicates that this is a problem; ObjectMessage for REST vs TextMessage for STOMP.  Is there any way around this?  If I can only have one of them what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

• 1. Re: REST and STOMP on HornetQ
          jbertram

Are you asking if you can, for example, produce a message via REST and then consume it via STOMP?  If so, I don't think there is any way to do that currently.

If you had to choose between REST and STOMP then I would probably choose STOMP because...

1. STOMP doesn't require a servlet container like REST does.
          2. STOMP is standardized and HornetQ REST isn't which means there are libraries that will help you integrate with STOMP more easily.
          • 2. Re: REST and STOMP on HornetQ

The question is can we have  JMS, REST and STOMP clients connected to the same server? 

• 3. Re: REST and STOMP on HornetQ
              jbertram

The question is can we have  JMS, REST and STOMP clients connected to the same server?

Yes.  I don't see why not.

Of course, as stated before, they won't necessarily all be able to exchange messages with each other.

• 4. Re: REST and STOMP on HornetQ

That's kind of a big issue.  We will have one publisher.  It is a c++ process so it needs to be either STOMP or REST.  Are you saying that  REST client can't receive messages posted by a STOMP publisher?  What about a JMS client? 

• 5. Re: REST and STOMP on HornetQ
                  jbertram

JMS and REST can interoperate.  JMS and STOMP can interoperate.  The manual discusses both of these scenarios.

REST and STOMP cannot interoperate (as I basically stated before).

Clients using REST, STOMP, or JMS can all connect to the same instance of HornetQ (again, as I stated before).

• 6. Re: REST and STOMP on HornetQ

Yes you did say it before and I appologize for not reading carefully enough.

Thanks for your help.