7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2002 11:53 AM by dsundstrom

CMP 2.0 Unidirectional 1-1 mapping

sweetfa

In a 1-1 mapping, does it mean object A has a direct relationship to an instance of Object B, and that another instance of object B has a direct relationship to a different instance of Object B.

My understanding of 1-1 mapping is that each instance of object A can only have a relationship with one instance of object B, but they can be different instances.

The reason for the question, is that I have a setup that works with a 1-n mapping, but I believe should be 1-1 that seems to get confused about the relationships, particularly in unidectional state.

Is my understanding about relationship multiplicity correct ?

• 1. Re: CMP 2.0 Unidirectional 1-1 mapping
          dsundstrom

You lost me. The relationships use referential integrity rules, which means that if A1->B1 then B1->A1. You can NOT have A1->B1 and B1->A2.

Did that answer you question?

• 2. Re: CMP 2.0 Unidirectional 1-1 mapping
            sweetfa

No, I think I am after something simpler than that.

A1 -> B1
            A2 -> B2
            A3 -> B1
            A4 -> B1

where object B does not know of the existence of object A, and therefore does not require a knowledge of the relationship.

In this case does JBoss consider this a 1-1 mapping, or a 1-n mapping ?

• 3. Re: CMP 2.0 Unidirectional 1-1 mapping

CMP 2.0 looks at this relationship as 1-1 unidirectional.

• 4. Re: CMP 2.0 Unidirectional 1-1 mapping
                tdang

I think is is independent of web app servers, your case is clearly an 1:N relationship, not an 1:1 one. So you need here an 1-n mapping.

Regards.

• 5. Re: CMP 2.0 Unidirectional 1-1 mapping
                  dsundstrom

> A1 -> B1
                  > A2 -> B2
                  > A3 -> B1
                  > A4 -> B1
                  >
                  > where object B does not know of the existence of
                  > object A, and therefore does not require a knowledge
                  > of the relationship.
                  >
                  > In this case does JBoss consider this a 1-1 mapping,
                  > or a 1-n mapping ?

Directionality of relationships has nothing to do with the internal datastructures. Related objects always know about each other, and this is requried to enforce referential integrity. Anyway, you clearly have a n:1 unidirectional relationship (notice I wrote n:1 and not 1:n).

• 6. Re: CMP 2.0 Unidirectional 1-1 mapping
                    sweetfa

The reason I am asking this question is that I have a problem where I have a 'n:1' relationship which is performing a load of a very large table because it is basically loading the entire A table attempting to 'referential integrate' the appropriate 'B' instance.

Not only is this killing the system, but as it is a uni-directional association, in terms of the application it is unnecessary.

We have added a patch to JDBCCMRFieldBridge to only load the relationship when the metadata for the relationship contains a cmr-field entry. This check has been made in front of the 'load' calls within the setInstanceValue, getInstanceValue, and addRelation methods.

So far, the modification has passed the test suite, and has removed the reverse relationship load where it is not necessary.

Can you see any problems with this approach ?

• 7. Re: CMP 2.0 Unidirectional 1-1 mapping
                      dsundstrom

I don't seen any problems (off the top of my head). I did work on a patch like this before and it ended up not working but I don't remember why. Maybe you got it right this time. I'll check it out later this week.