6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 1:48 PM by stsc

FTPprovider "dies"/stop working wihtout a trace

stsc

Hi

We have a service consuming from a FTPProvider. It works like a charm most of the time (99,9%), but occasionally it dies/stop consuming files from the ftp site. Everything seems normal except it is not consuming. To fix it, undeploy and redeploy and it starts consuming again for an arbitrary amount of time (a couple of days, a couple of month maybe).

There may be evidence in the logs we haven't found, but so far no sign of what causes these errors.

Any ideas on what to look for?

Is the error on the ESB system? Can the FTP host induce the problem (how)?

Anyone with similar experiences?

regards

Steffen

• 1. Re: FTPprovider "dies"/stop working wihtout a trace
          tcunning

Steffen,

What protocol are you using (ftp/ftps/sftp)?    What version of JBoss ESB/AS?  Have you tried increasing the logging on org.jboss.internal/org.jboss.soa.esb so you can see debug messages?

--Tom

• 2. Re: FTPprovider "dies"/stop working wihtout a trace
            stsc

Pure ftp, JBoss ESB 4.10, JBoss 5.1 GA

It is a production server with quite some load, so I'm not so keen on increasing the logging level to much on a general level . We are currently producing a lot of log as it is...

I'm trying to send error messages from "org.jboss.soa.esb.listeners.gateway" to a special logfile, but no catch yet, since we haven't experienced stop of consumption since it was introduced. Is there any specific classes I should try to capture log from?

• 3. Re: FTPprovider "dies"/stop working wihtout a trace
              tcunning

Maybe try org/jboss/internal/soa/esb/util as well?

Does the pure ftp log show anything?

• 4. Re: FTPprovider "dies"/stop working wihtout a trace
                wgrgom

I have the same problem.

When this happens the free memory varies greatly.

Sometimes a solution is to stop some FTP listeners, but does not always work.

• 5. Re: FTPprovider "dies"/stop working wihtout a trace
                  stsc

Nothing caught in the logfiles so far. I have added capture of log from org/jboss/internal/soa/esb/util as well.

We have also requested the ftp server logfiles from operations at the remote host, covering the time of the last known "crash". I don't know if such a logfile exists and if we will get it if it exists... But it is requested.

• 6. Re: FTPprovider "dies"/stop working wihtout a trace
                    stsc

More than seven month has passed without any mysterious deaths of FTPprovider. The problem must be somewhere else, because I haven't changed anything but the log configuration of Log4J.

And speaking of death: I remains a mystery ... like the last known whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa.