have you found a solution to this problem? I'm experiencing the same problem.
I currently workaround the problem by doing sometihng like this
<a4j:commandButton id="myAction" action=".." render="myPanel"oncomplete="callOnStatusOnstop();" /> but I don't think this is a very appropriat solution.
I Would very much appreciate a better solution from the community.
better to make the code reuse of it,create like below
1) Copy all the code inside a4j:region tag and specifiy the id for the tag.
2) After closing the region in page or modelpanel add the below code ,
3) Include the code after the step2.
<a4j:include id="loadWindow" viewId="loading_page.jsp"></a4j:include>
4) add the code in separete page,(loading_page.jsp)
<rich:modalPanel id="wait" autosized="true" width="50" height="50"
<h:graphicImage alt="Please Wait..." value="image/loading.gif"></h:graphicImage>
5) you need to add the status in commandbutton also to show in the screen.
it will show the loading icon where ever you want it.
the problem is not how to use or display the busy status but how to sop it once started.
the onstart() method is called when an ajax request is fired but the onstop() method of the script is not called when the request is over.