3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 6:24 AM by mircea.markus

Can a single POJO object put into infinispan create issues during replication

user2424

Hi,

Earlier we were using a POJO cache and had only single POJO object which will store complete state of the cache. The object was assigned to single key.

Is it OK to move to infinispan with same setup (single key - single pojo object)? We want to understand if this setup will create any issues?

Also, how will the replication work if we try to update a subobject inside that pojo object, will it have to sync complete object?

What if two different servers try to update separate subojbject of this POJO object at the same time? will the replication fail saying its trying to update same key?

We tried to setup same setup in jboss7.0 and faced two issues:

1. Unable to acquire lock on key -- we increased the lock acquire time to 5 min (for test -- knew that this is not the correct solution) and this error is not coming

2. There are replication exception lot of times. The cache POJO object gets updated multiple times in short duration.

• 1. Re: Can a single POJO object put into infinispan create issues during replication
          an1310

Well, it depends on reads/writes and how much contention there is.  I certainly don't know your business requirement, but I generally like to spread out my K,V pairs.  ISPN certainly does support what you're doing.

For only updating a subset of an object, take a look at the DeltaAware implementation.  For your use case, the AtomicMap API may also be helpful.

I would start HERE for understanding ISPN's locking model and to formulate a design pattern (which may help your reported 5 minute lock).  From my perspective, if you expect a lot of contention and need to read the latest version, consider pessimistic locking of the form:

tm.begin();
          myCache.lock( key );
          Object o = myCache.get( key );

// Do something with o.
          myCache.put( o );
          tm.commit();

• 2. Re: Can a single POJO object put into infinispan create issues during replication
            mircea.markus

Earlier we were using a POJO cache and had only single POJO object which will store complete state of the cache. The object was assigned to single key.

Is it OK to move to infinispan with same setup (single key - single pojo object)? We want to understand if this setup will create any issues?

Infinispan won't intercept field level modifications, it'd be better if you split the object into several keys in order to assure granular state replication and allow multiple transactions to update the state concurrently.

• 3. Re: Can a single POJO object put into infinispan create issues during replication
              mircea.markus

Also if you're looking for an Infinispan based alternative to POJO cache's fine grained replication, you might want to consider Hibernate OGM: http://www.hibernate.org/subprojects/ogm.html