6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 11:17 AM by kkkppp

[Jboss 7.1.3] How to look up RemoteConnectionFactory remotely?

kkkppp

Initially I used

private static final String RMI_CONNECTOR = "RemoteConnectionFactory";

and everything was fine. Then I tried unit test (separate JVM) and get an error:

[junit] Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: RemoteConnectionFactory -- service jboss.naming.context.java.jboss.exported.RemoteConnectionFactory

[junit]     at org.jboss.as.naming.ServiceBasedNamingStore.lookup(ServiceBasedNamingStore.java:97)

I searched forum, found out that I have to use "jms/RemoteConnectionFactory". Now test passes, but invocation from inside container fails:

Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: jms/RemoteConnectionFactory -- service jboss.naming.context.java.jms.RemoteConnectionFactory

at org.jboss.as.naming.ServiceBasedNamingStore.lookup(ServiceBasedNamingStore.java:97)

The question is - which name do I use to lookup from both inside and outside? I tried both of names below, but remote lookup only works for "jms/RemoteConnectionFactory"

15:36:16,042 INFO  [org.jboss.as.messaging] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 71) JBAS011601: Bound messaging object to jndi name java:jboss/exported/jms/RemoteConnectionFactory

15:36:16,043 INFO  [org.jboss.as.messaging] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 71) JBAS011601: Bound messaging object to jndi name java:/RemoteConnectionFactory

• 1. Re: [Jboss 7.1.3] How to look up RemoteConnectionFactory remotely?
          jbertram

What is your client doing with the connection factory?  Is it just sending messages?

• 2. Re: [Jboss 7.1.3] How to look up RemoteConnectionFactory remotely?
            kkkppp

Not only, it subscribes to topics also

• 3. Re: [Jboss 7.1.3] How to look up RemoteConnectionFactory remotely?
              jbertram

If you are subscribing to topics in the container then you really should be using an MDB to leverage all the benefits of Java EE (e.g. transactions, security, easy instance and session pooling).  However, if you're set against that then you can use "java:/ConnectionFactory" to consume messages.  It uses a HornetQ "in-vm" connector which is optimized for local use. 

If you are sending messages within the container you should use "java:/JmsXA" which is pooled.

As you know, you should use "jms/RemoteConnectionFactory" from remote clients.

• 4. Re: [Jboss 7.1.3] How to look up RemoteConnectionFactory remotely?
                kkkppp

I have server-side class and unit test, which tests this class in client VM. In Jboss 4 it used to work, now there is some artificial constraint and JNDI names are different for in-VM and remote invocation. My question was how to work around this strange behaviour.

• 5. Re: [Jboss 7.1.3] How to look up RemoteConnectionFactory remotely?
                  jbertram

In Jboss 4 it used to work, now there is some artificial constraint and JNDI names are different for in-VM and remote invocation. My question was how to work around this strange behaviour.

JBoss AS 7 is quite different than JBoss AS 4.x.  As you can imagine, much has changed since 2004 when AS 4.x was first released.

Different connection factories are optimized for different use-cases.  They are named and bound in JNDI to make it (relatively) easy to see that.  Furthermore, only JNDI bindings in "java:jboss/exported" are visible to remote clients.  Whether or not you call that an "artificial constraint" or "strange" is up to you. 

If you want to use the same JNDI name for both remote and local clients you simply need to configure them appropriately, e.g.:

<connection-factory name="RemoteConnectionFactory">
                      <connectors>
                          <connector-ref connector-name="netty"/>
                      </connectors>
                      <entries>
                          <entry name="java:jboss/exported/ConnectionFactory"/>
                      </entries>
                  </connection-factory>

Then you should be able to use "ConnectionFactory" both locally and remotely.

• 6. Re: [Jboss 7.1.3] How to look up RemoteConnectionFactory remotely?
                    kkkppp

Many thanks, I will try this.