4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 5:32 AM by tsegismont

monitoring ejb3 resources of war deployment

ghilling

I'm trying to monitor JEE6 web application that also uses ejbs (web-profile). I'd like to monitor the pool usage, size, invocations etc. of my ejb3 resources.

RHQ doesn't list any resources of my deployment, though. The information is available via cli.

Platform is EAP-6.0.0.

I couldn't find any information here or in the docs. Is this a missing feature or am I missing something?

• 1. Re: monitoring ejb3 resources of war deployment
          tsegismont

In RHQ server resource tree, you should see all your deployed EJB under "your EAP key / Deployments / you EAR / Subdeployments / your EJB archive / ejb3 / XXX Bean Runtimes".

All Stateless session beans resources can be configured to collect pool metrics:

<metric property="pool-available-count" description="The number of available (i.e. not in use) instances in the pool."/>
                <metric property="pool-create-count" description="The number of bean instances that have been created."/>
                <metric property="pool-current-size" description="The current size of the pool."/>
                <metric property="pool-max-size" description="The maximum size of the pool."/>
                <metric property="pool-remove-count" description="The number of bean instances that have been removed."/>

But yes invocation metrics are missing. You can file a feature request and contributions are welcome

For the record, this what one gets from CLI on a SLSB:

[standalone@127.0.0.1:6999 stateless-session-bean=MeasurementDataManagerBean] :read-resource(recursive=true,include-runtime=true)
          {
              "outcome" => "success",
              "result" => {
                  "component-class-name" => "MeasurementDataManagerBean",
                  "declared-roles" => [],
                  "execution-time" => 0L,
                  "invocations" => 0L,
                  "peak-concurrent-invocations" => 0L,
                  "pool-available-count" => 20,
                  "pool-create-count" => 2,
                  "pool-current-size" => 2,
                  "pool-max-size" => 20,
                  "pool-name" => "slsb-strict-max-pool",
                  "pool-remove-count" => 0,
                  "run-as-role" => undefined,
                  "security-domain" => "other",
                  "timers" => [],
                  "wait-time" => 0L
              }
          }

• 2. Re: monitoring ejb3 resources of war deployment
            tsegismont

Sorry I made a confusion, your beans are not packaged in an EAR but a WAR. And they don't appear below your WAR Deployment in the resource tree, right?

• 3. Re: monitoring ejb3 resources of war deployment
              ghilling

Yes, that's the problem. The statistics seem to be available in jboss but no in rhq.

• 4. Re: monitoring ejb3 resources of war deployment
                tsegismont

Hi Gunnar,

I tried with AS7.1.1 and EAP 6.0.0 and with both I can see EJBs under WAR deployments:

ejbwar-resourcetree.png

If your problem is only missing metrics then please create a new Bugzilla entry.

Thomas