2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 8:53 AM by nexus021

Consumer-Max-Rate not working.

nexus021

Hello guys.

I have literally read every thread on this topic and still cannot get the consumer max rate to work.

I am running JBoss AS 5.1 with HornetQ 2.1.2 (Colmeia).

I am using MDB to consume messages so as I understand the  <consumer-max-rate>1</consumer-max-rate> attribute will not work when you put it hornetq-jms.xml because it actually uses the  resource adapter as connection factory.

So as per other threads I added the consumer max rate global under resource adapter in hornetq-ra.rar/META-INF/ra.xml

Like so :

<config-property>

<description>The consumer max rate</description>

<config-property-name>ConsumerMaxRate</config-property-name>

<config-property-type>java.lang.Integer</config-property-type>

<config-property-value>1</config-property-value>

</config-property>

And in my MDB I added :

@ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "maxSession", propertyValue = "1"),

@ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "consumerMaxRate", propertyValue = "1")

and also in my MDB :

@org.jboss.ejb3.annotation.Pool (value="ThreadlocalPool", maxSize=1, timeout=10000)

My problem is however, that when I print out the time when a message was sent and when the message was consumed, I find that all my messages are still being sent and consumed in the same second... therefore I cannot understand why it's not working?

13:11:26,068 FATAL [VendorImpl] Sent message: 0013001727006 Time of send:  13:11:26

13:11:26,120 FATAL [WebServiceMDB] Received message: 0013001727002 Time of receive: 13:11:26

13:11:26,120 FATAL [WebServiceMDB] ---------------------------------------------------------

13:11:26,366 FATAL [VendorImpl] Sent message: 0013001727007 Time of send:  13:11:26

13:11:26,384 FATAL [WebServiceMDB] Received message: 0013001727003 Time of receive:  13:11:26

Can you guys think of anything im doing wrong? Am I missing something else?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards

• 1. Re: Consumer-Max-Rate not working.
          ataylor

can you try with the latest version, 2.1.2 is quite old and we have fixed a lot of things since then.

My problem is however, that when I print out the time when a message was sent and when the message was consumed, I find that all my messages are still being sent and consumed in the same second... therefore I cannot understand why it's not working?

you mean consumed in the same second don't you, sending has nothing to do with consumerMaxRate

• 2. Re: Consumer-Max-Rate not working.
            nexus021

Correct Andy, the maximum amount of messages I saw consumed in the same second was 5.

I am only interested in the time between when the messages are consumed.

The system I am talking to has transactions per second requirement we need to adhere to, the max consumer rate would be perfect for this, however I cannot seem to get it working.

From reading other threads related to max consumer rate, I am unsure if my consumer is actually working as it should or not at all, my results indicate that more than 1 message per second is being consumed, sometimes even as high as 5 messages per second.

I shall try the latest version and see if my results differ, thanks Andy.