4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 3:06 AM by prashanto.chatterjee

Persistence unit picks a few entity classes from module dependency but not all

prashanto.chatterjee

I am trying to deploy a persistence unit where my entities are scattred across several JARs. Ideally I would like to add module dependencies to load all the entity JARs. Here is how I define my persistence unit:

<persistence-unit name="SMGRPersistenceUnit">
      <jta-data-source>java:/jdbc/com/avaya/mgmt/avSysDB</jta-data-source>
      <jar-file>file:${jboss.home.dir}/modules/com/avaya/mgmt/cim/jpa/main/cs_cim_jpa.jar</jar-file>
      <class>com.avaya.security.securestore.entities.CSEncryptionKey</class>
      <class>com.avaya.security.securestore.entities.CSSecureStore</class>

For my class entries I can see my entities getting deployed properly in twiddle:

jboss.as:deployment=pluginMgmt.ear,subsystem=jpa,hibernate-persistence-unit=pluginMgmt.ear#SMGRPersistenceUnit,entity=com.avaya.security.securestore.entities.CSEncryptionKey

jboss.as:deployment=pluginMgmt.ear,subsystem=jpa,hibernate-persistence-unit=pluginMgmt.ear#SMGRPersistenceUnit

jboss.as:deployment=pluginMgmt.ear,subsystem=jpa,hibernate-persistence-unit=pluginMgmt.ear#SMGRPersistenceUnit,entity=com.avaya.security.securestore.entities.CSSecureStore

jboss.as:deployment=pluginMgmt.ear,subsystem=jpa,hibernate-persistence-unit=pluginMgmt.ear#SMGRPersistenceUnit,collection=com.avaya.security.securestore.entities.CSSecureStore.csencryptionkeyCollection

The JAR file that contains these entities has been added as a module dependency.

However the entities defined in the JAR that is added as a jar-file entry does not get deployed unless I copy the JAR locally in the application. I find it really intriguing as to how it is working for one and not working for the other . Even if I comment the jar-file entry and try to use a class entry it does not work for the cs_cim_jpa.jar entities.

Is this a known issue? Any guidance on how to proceed will be deeply appreciated. Ideally I want to be able to define module dependencies as we have a pluggable architecture and so the entities can be defined in separate JARs.

• 1. Re: Persistence unit picks a few entity classes from module dependency but not all
          prashanto.chatterjee

I am migrating my applications from JBoss AS 6 to JBoss AS 7.1.1.Final. Presently I am just trying to deploy an EAR that only houses the persistence unit.

• 2. Re: Persistence unit picks a few entity classes from module dependency but not all
            jaikiran

You can't have those jar files outside of the deployment packaging. The spec states:

JPA2 spec, section 8.2.1.6.3

One or more JAR files may be specified using the jar-file elements instead of, or in addition to the

mapping files specified in the mapping-file elements. If specified, these JAR files will be searched

for managed persistence classes, and any mapping metadata annotations found on them will be pro-

cessed, or they will be mapped using the mapping annotation defaults defined by this specification.

Such JAR files are specified relative to the directory or jar file that contains[82] the root of the persis-

tence unit.[83]

• 3. Re: Persistence unit picks a few entity classes from module dependency but not all
              prashanto.chatterjee

When I started building my persistence unit I was bundling all the requisite JARs together in the application. It was just by accident that I discovered that a few entities were getting picked up from module dependencies. Is that something by accident or is there some configuration that is aiding this?

Since we have a pluggable architecture it would work in my favor if I am able to let extensions drop their entity JARs in their own modules.

Here is my deployment structure:

<jboss-deployment-structure>

<deployment>

<exclusions>

<module name="javax.faces.api" slot="main"/>

<module name="com.sun.jsf-impl" slot="main"/>

</exclusions>

<dependencies>

<module name="javax.faces.api" slot="1.2" export="true" />

<module name="com.sun.jsf-impl" slot="1.2" export="true" />

<module name="org.dom4j" export="true" />

<module name="org.hibernate.validator.legacy" slot="4.0.2" export="true" />

<module name="org.apache.tools.ant" export="true" />

<module name="com.avaya.mgmt.logging" export="true" />

<module name="com.avaya.mgmt.console.faces" export="true" />

<module name="com.avaya.mgmt.console.framework" export="true" />

<module name="com.avaya.mgmt.cim.jpa" export="true" />

<module name="com.avaya.mgmt.securestore" export="true" />

<module name="com.avaya.mgmt.geo.client" export="true" />

<module name="com.avaya.mgmt.pif.client" export="true" />

<module name="com.avaya.mgmt.spm.spmcommon" export="true" />

<module name="org.springframework" slot="2.5.6" export="true" />

<!--    <module name="deployment.SMGRPersistence.ear.SMGRPersistence.jar" />    -->

</dependencies>

<resources>

<resource-root path="pan_plugin_frmwk_Manager.jar" />

</resources>

</deployment>

<sub-deployment name="pan_plugin_frmwk_Servlet.war">     

</sub-deployment>

<sub-deployment name="pan_plugin_frmwk_Ui.war">   

</sub-deployment>

</jboss-deployment-structure>

And here is my persistence unit definition. There are some old properties using which we got it working when migrating from 4.2.3 to AS 6.

<persistence version="1.0" xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence      http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<persistence-unit name="SMGRPersistenceUnit">

<jta-data-source>java:/jdbc/com/avaya/mgmt/avSysDB</jta-data-source>

<jar-file>file:${jboss.home.dir}/modules/com/avaya/mgmt/cim/jpa/main/cs_cim_jpa.jar</jar-file>

<class>com.avaya.security.securestore.entities.CSEncryptionKey</class>

<class>com.avaya.security.securestore.entities.CSSecureStore</class>

<properties>

<property name="hibernate.transaction.manager_lookup_class" value="org.hibernate.transaction.JBossTransactionManagerLookup"/>

<!--

<property name="hibernate.cache.provider_class" value="org.hibernate.cache.HashtableCacheProvider"/>

-->

<property name="jboss.entity.manager.factory.jndi.name" value="java:/EntityManagerFactories/UserMgmtSeamPersistenceFactory"/>

<property name="jta.UserTransaction" value="java:comp/UserTransaction"/>

<!--<property name="hibernate.ejb.event.flush-entity" value="com.avaya.coreservice.persistence.CimPreFlushEntityEventListener,       org.hibernate.ejb.event.EJB3FlushEntityEventListener,        com.avaya.coreservice.persistence.CimPostFlushEntityEventListener"/> -->

<!-- Do not run Hibernate validator for every insert and update -->

<property name="hibernate.validator.autoregister_listeners" value="false"/>

<!-- Rescans the classes from the jar files -->

<property name="hibernate.ejb.resource_scanner" value="org.hibernate.ejb.packaging.NativeScanner"/>

</properties>

</persistence-unit>

</persistence>

• 4. Re: Persistence unit picks a few entity classes from module dependency but not all
                prashanto.chatterjee

The entities that I have defined under 'class' are getting picked from module dependency <module name="com.avaya.mgmt.securestore" export="true" />.