2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2013 8:51 AM by jaikiran

Disk utilisation

david.goate

Hi all,

We have a problem with our deployment of JBoss 7 which is causing disk utilisation to rapidly increase over time and eventually all available space is consumed. The only way that we have currently identified to workaround this problem is to kill jboss and restart it. Once Jboss has been killed the disk space is immediately reclaimed.

We notice that using the df command shows the mount as 100% used 0% free, however, running the du command doesn't seem to add up, i.e. the space doesn't appear to be used and we can't identify exactly which directories or files are consuming the space. It is not uncommon for 10 GB of disk to be "consumed" within 48 hours or JBoss running which has lead to restarts every other day on each server (ocassionally more freqently).

We are using Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_13-b20), Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode) on Linux 2.6.16.60 with JBoss 7.1.4.Final-SNAPSHOT.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so did you find out what the problem was?

• 1. Re: Disk utilisation
          randahl

Hi David. I was struggling with a similar problem this week. We had accumulated over 40 GB over time. In my case, restarting did not help, but i noticed that all the space was taken by temporary folders inside the standalone dir. If you look up docs on JBoss folder structure, you will see that three of your folders are created by JBoss after the first run for storing temporary data related to deployments. Those are named log, tmp, and data. Most of the 40 GB where inside the data folder. You cannot just delete those folders if applications are deployed because JBoss will then complain that your deployments are missing their data, but if you undeploy all of your own apps, delete the three folders, and redeploy, you are all good.

Now I know, that this is not an automated solution but I will say that in my apps case it has taken many months to reach 40 GB, so until I find a better solution I will just stop redeploying constantly and instead, undeploy, delete the folders manually, and then redeploy. Know that if you find a better way or hear more about this I am all ears.

Yours

Randahl

• 2. Re: Disk utilisation
            jaikiran