2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 5:16 AM by sid_de

Running several JBOSS 7_1_1 clusters on the same network

sid_de

Hi Guys    

Ok ... so I need to run more than one JBOSS cluster on the same network .

1>  Now from what I understand the UDP Multicast address needs to be unique for each of the clusters ... am I right ?

2> Also instead of having different addresses for different clusters , will having different ports suffice ? 

3> In the standalone-ha.xml file I see the following line :- 

<socket-binding name="jgroups-udp" port="55200" multicast-address="${jboss.default.multicast.address:230.0.0.4}" multicast-port="45688"/>                                                                               

From what I understand this is the part that I need to change , to modify the Multicast address riight ?                

Also why are there two ports ?  

Thanks  

Sid

• 1. Re: Running several JBOSS 7_1_1 clusters on the same network
          wdfink

1> Yes

2> Yes, but there was a JDK bug in the past where the port was not respected. But I think this is not an issue ATM and the combination address-port must be unique

3> one port is related to the multicast and one is used together with the real-ip, so it depends on the configuration

if you use MCast you can change the m-cast port only

• 2. Re: Running several JBOSS 7_1_1 clusters on the same network
            sid_de

Hi Wolf ,

Thank you for your answers . 

Could you kindly elaborate on point 3  . I understand that the multicast-port is used for multicast messages which form the foundations of the cluster , but am still unclear as to what we need the port 55200 for .  

Also a few further add-on questions :-

4> Let us say that I have 2 clusters running with different multicast address + port combinations ... in case the cluster names  are  the same , will there be an issue ?  

5> The cluster names are the same as the names ( output of the hostname command ... assuming a Unix box ) of the first node starting the cluster right ?

6> Assuming that running more than 1 JBOSS cluster on the same network is a common requirement , what are the default methods that are generally used to guarantee unique multicast-address + port combinations ? 

In our case we were thinking about setting the last 3 octets of the multicast address as the same as the last 3 octets of the IP address of the first node of  the cluster   ( assuming locally assignable multicast addresses belong to the range 239.0.0.0  -  239.255.255.255  )     .