3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 4:03 AM by ejb3workshop

Using endorsed libraries to use custom Xalan/Xerces

ejb3workshop

The log from JBoss 7 reports the endorsed folder on startup as : java.endorsed.dirs = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_25\jre\lib\endorsed however after placing several libraries into this folder including our special version of xalan and serializer. However when trying to access the "special" version I am getting errors:

java.lang.LinkageError: Failed to link org/apache/xalan/transformer/TransformerImpl

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xml/serializer/SerializerTrace

Any suggestions on how the endorsed mechanism works in JBoss 7.

• 1. Re: Using endorsed libraries
          ejb3workshop

I made a little progress on this issue. Looks like the endorsed mechanism has been replaced with jigsaw / modules. Not 100% certain of this and would be grateful if somebody could confirm my suspicion.

So I tried to create a custom module and declare a dependency in my application

Added jboss-deployment-structure.xml to the META-INF folder of my EAR

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<jboss-deployment-structure>

<ear-subdeployments-isolated>true</ear-subdeployments-isolated>

<deployment>

<dependencies>

<module name="com.abc.additional" export="true"/>

<module name="com.abc.dependencies" export="true" />

</dependencies>

</deployment>

</jboss-deployment-structure>

And added a new module folder and descriptor

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<module xmlns="urn:jboss:module:1.1" name="com.thunderhead.additional">

<resources>

<resource-root path="ABC-serializer-2.7.0.jar"/>

<resource-root path="ABC-xalan-2.7.0.jar"/>

<resource-root path="resolver.jar"/>

</resources>

</module>

This didn't help resolve the issue. Any suggestion on how to specify / override the default XML libraries for either a single application EAR or the entire JBoss installation.

• 2. Re: Using endorsed libraries
            sfcoy

What happens if you add the jars to your EAR/lib directory (and remove the jboss-deployment-structure.xml)?

Are you using javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory#newInstance(java.lang.String, java.lang.ClassLoader) to create your transformer factories?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Using endorsed libraries
              ejb3workshop

This looks a little better, however now I am getting : NoClassDefFoundError: javax/naming/InitialContext. I already posted about this issue on a separate thread as a different part of the application is also running in to the same issue. Any idea where this class is. I can't find it in any of the modules or jar files.