0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2013 8:31 PM by Faeem Ali

    Bug with JAX-RS annotation processing

    Faeem Ali Newbie

      Hey All ...

       

      I suspect I've found a bug in Jboss AS 7.1.1 Final regarding JAX annotation processing for JSON. I've included a tiny project to this post that can be imported into eclipse (Juno) that shows the issue. Basically, JAX-RS seems to ignore @XmlElement annotations when the @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON) is used. Please see the code below as an example:

       

      <code>

      @Path("/")

      public class Test {

        @GET

        @Path("/test")

        @Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON) //this doesn't read the @XmlElement annotation

        //@Produces(MediaType.APPLICATION_XML) //this works

        public Msg getMsg() {

        return new Msg();

        }

      }

      </code>

       

      <code>

      @XmlRootElement

      public class Msg implements Serializable {

        private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;

        private String content = "Hello World";

       

        public Msg() {

        }

        @XmlElement(name = "blah")

        public String getContent() {

        return content;

        }

        public void setContent(String content) {

        this.content = content;

        }

      }

       

      </code>

       

      Output:

      When using MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON:

      {"content":"Hello World"}

       

      When using MediaType.APPLICATION_XML

      <msg>

      <blah>Hello World</blah>

       

      </msg>


      As the output shows, the @XmlElement annotation is not being processed, or not being processed correctly when JSON output is requested.


      Also, if no @XmlElement is used, variable names are still mapped to XML/JSON provided the getters/setters exist. This may be a misunderstanding on my part, but I thought only variables explicitly marked with @XmlElement will be mapped to XML/JSON. This is not shown in the example above.

       

      I'm using JBoss AS 7.1.1 in standalone mode. The only changes I've made to the configuration are adding a security domain and a database adaptor. The default RESTEasy configuration has not been modified in any way.


      Please either point out my mistake or confirm this as a bug. If it's the latter, I'll post a bug report.


      Faeem