There should be a number of quickstarts related to this in the Overlord/S-RAMP distribution. I'll ask Eric and Kurt to provide specific pointers.
Actually, I may have misinterpreted your question. Let me start with what is supported via the design-time governance repository today:
1) You can deploy/upload SY applications into the repository, where application metadata and artifacts will be sequenced and registered within the repository.
2) You can deploy a SY application from the repository into a runtime using a number of different mechanisms (e.g. directory based deployment).
Are you asking about 1 or 2? Or do you have a number 3 in mind? :-)
Thank you for your reply, Keith.
I'm asking about 2.
We have a project called DTGov in the Overlord space that provides a way to manage the lifecycle of a SwitchYard application. The DTGov project can be found here:
DTGov is an embedded workflow engine which allows arbitrary governance behavior to be associated with artifacts in the S-RAMP repository. Whenever content in the repository changes, the DTGov workflow system can instantiate a new workflow. Out of the box DTGov provides a Deployment Lifecycle workflow (named SimpleReleaseProcess) that is capable of deploying a SY app that has been added to S-RAMP into a SY runtime.
Here is an overview of how it works:
- A SY application is built using standard SY tools (e.g. a Maven project)
- DTGov is configured to look for new SwitchYard applications added to the S-RAMP repository
- The SY application is added to S-RAMP either via the UI or via Maven (using the S-RAMP Maven Integration)
- DTGov will automatically trigger the Deployment Lifecycle workflow for the SY application
- A user/users must log in to the DTGov Human Task Management UI to progress the SY application through its release phases (dev, qa, staging, production)
The SimpleReleaseProcess can be modified to be customized to your particular organization (e.g. you might only use QA and PROD environments). Simply modify the SimpleReleaseProcess BPM file and re-deploy it.
The SimpleReleaseProcess uses a DTGov REST deployment service to accomplish deploying the SY application to the runtime environment. This deployment service can be configured to use a variety of different deployment technologies.
Hopefully the above information can serve as a good starting point to get you going.
Thank you for the thorough explanation. I'll give it a try.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Here are some demos that may get you going: https://github.com/Governance/dtgov/tree/master/dtgov-demos
I think in particular https://github.com/Governance/dtgov/tree/master/dtgov-demos/dtgov-demos-switchyard
is what you are talking about. Note that the workflow can deploy using a simple file copy, use the AS7 domain API, or use RHQ to deploy things out to the your SwitchYard runtime environment (application server group).