3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 10:48 AM by henrikdeluxe

Using a fallback login module

mylos78

Hi all !

I'm using a database login module in my JBoss AS 7.2 application to check user's authorization. Since the user's database is not available in some circumstances, I'd like to add as fall back the simpler RealmDirect login module which checks on file for authentication. Is it possible to achieve it ? Looking at the docs, I'm just guessing:

<login-module code="Database" flag="required">

. . .

</login-module>

<login-module code="RealmDirect" flag="sufficient">

. . . .                        

</login-module>

Is it correct the required/sufficient combination I am using ?

Thanks

Mylos

• 1. Re: Using a fallback login module
          henrikdeluxe

I don't know if i understood corectly, but i think you have to set "sufficient" for both login-modules

If the first one succeed the second won't be invoke

If the first one fails the second module will be invoked

if second fails login is denied

• 2. Re: Using a fallback login module
            mylos78

Thanks for your reply, yes what you say makes sense however from the security subsystem XSD I can read that with Required:

"Required - The LoginModule is required to succeed. If it succeeds or fails, authentication still continues to proceed down the LoginModule list."

So I'm not sure what is the best option for my case, Required or Sufficient.

>I don't know if i understood corectly, but i think you have to set "sufficient" for both login-modules

My need is that if the database is unavailable, the authentication will be checked on the filesystem using the RealmDirect, but just as second option.

Thanks

Mylos

• 3. Re: Using a fallback login module
              henrikdeluxe

i think if you choose "sufficient" for both login-modules, it will work as you need,

but you may get ugly exceptions while database-login-module crashes cause database isn't available

as second step you may write an own database-loginmodule that inherit from jboss databaseLoginModule and precheck availabilty of database

if database is not available you could silently return false in login() method and log custom messages