2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2003 10:34 AM by davilch

finder that checks for zero length parameter does not work?

Looking for a strategy to handle searches where some of the parameters may be null or empty. I have seen this question before but no answers. I tried the following simple case where I check for a zero length input string...

<query-method>
      <method-name>findByStatus</method-name>
      <method-params>
      <method-param>java.lang.String</method-param>
      </method-params>
      </query-method>
      <ejb-ql>
      <![CDATA[
      SELECT OBJECT(ab)
      FROM ApplicationBean ab
      WHERE ((LENGTH(?1) = 0) OR (ab.status = ?1))]]>
      </ejb-ql>

If I call this with a status that is in the db it works fine. If I call it with a zero length status I get no rows back. Anyone have thoughts on why this won't work?

[I am using jboss 3.2.2 and oracle 9i]

• 1. Re: finder that checks for zero length parameter does not wo
          raja05

Im not sure if you can use functions in a WHERE clause. Shouldnt it be easier to do the check in the Caller?

-Raj

• 2. Re: finder that checks for zero length parameter does not wo

You could check the parameter prior to calling the sql but that won't scale well. The scenario I have in mind is where there would be multiple parameters to the sql, any or all of which might be null/empty. I would like to have only one sql statement that could handle any combination. This is an easy thing to do in oracle pl/sql. Not so much in ejb-ql.

Functions are legal in a WHERE clause and I am sure that if I was checking the length of a column that it would work fine. Just trying to get some insight as to whether what I am trying to do should or should not work.