0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2014 1:10 PM by shailu777

Excluding JPA Subsystem from JBoss EAP 6.1

shailu777

I have a war application which contains JPA 2.1  API and Hibernate 4.3.0.Final ( JPA 2.1 implementation) packaged and bootstrapped using Spring container and I want to deploy this in JBoss EAP 6.1.

I am aware that JBoss EAP 6.1 is JPA 2.0 compliant so I decided to force JBoss to use JPA version and implementation from within my application

What I was trying to do was to exclude the JPA subsystem using jboss-deployment-structure.xml but what I found was that even if I comment out JPA extension and JPA subsystem from standalone.xml and put JPA subsystem exclusion in jboss-deployment-structure.xml (also excluded org.hibernate module to use the hibernate packaged in application), no JPA scanners are run ( as expected) but the moment any of the war class (in my case Spring container) refers to the javax.persistence classes, the API gets loaded from JBoss modules (modules/system/layers/base/javax/persistence/api/main/hibernate-jpa-2.0-1.0.1.Final-redhat-2.jar!) INSTEAD of the API jar supplied in the war supplied. So obviously I get exception of mismatch in the JBoss supplied API (2.0) and its

implementation (2.1) in war application. One exception is for e.g., index related property of annotation javax.persistence.Table is not recognized as this is an addition in JPA 2.1 and not available in JPA 2.0

I could work-around this issue by replacing the JPA 2.0 API in the modules directory with JPA 2.1 and everything worked fine. However I think this is not the correct way as this is like trying to change server behaviour for all applications.

Is this the intentional JBoss classloading behaviour that all specification API classes ( of which JBoss is implementer) will always take precedence no matter what the implementation used is ?

Is there a way by which I can cleanly use both the API and implementation from within my application ?

Another option would be to move to Wildfly which is JPA 2.1 implementation, but my question is whether this is cleanly possible in JBoss EAP 6.1 ?