6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2010 8:19 AM by henk53

Old version of Quartz in Jboss 5.0x and Jboss 5.1

henk53

Hi,

I noticed that the latest version of Jboss AS (5.1 cr1) is still shipped with a very old version of Quartz, namely 1.5.2. From jar-versions.xml:

<jar name="quartz.jar" specVersion="5.1.0.CR1" specVendor="JBoss (http://www.jboss.org/)" specTitle="JBoss" implVersion="1.5.2" implVendor="OpenSymphony" implTitle="Quartz Enterprise Job Scheduler ALL" implVendorID="http://www.jboss.org/" implURL="http://www.jboss.org/" sealed="false" md5Digest="8b1fc6782cc6d77e23398e3b4410b35c"/>

Quartz 1.5.2 was released in March 2006, which means its over 3 years old now. Meanwhile, Quartz 1.6.x has been released and has seen as many as 5 updates already, fixing quite a number of bugs.

Would it be possible to ship Jboss AS 5.1 with a newer version of Quartz, say 1.6.5 or so?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Old version of Quartz in Jboss 5.0x and Jboss 5.1
          jaikiran
          • 2. Re: Old version of Quartz in Jboss 5.0x and Jboss 5.1
            henk53
            About 3 quarters of a year have passed, any news on this already? The issue that's tracking it has seen very little activity really.
            • 3. Re: Old version of Quartz in Jboss 5.0x and Jboss 5.1
              jaikiran

Why not just package your own version of quartz jar in your application?

• 4. Re: Old version of Quartz in Jboss 5.0x and Jboss 5.1
                henk53

jaikiran wrote:

Why not just package your own version of quartz jar in your application?

Well, it's either that or replacing the one JBoss bundles. This has been a workable workaround for me, but it's a workaround nevertheless.

Surely, one day JBoss AS really has to upgrade this particularly library? As I understand it, it's used for some internal stuff in JBoss AS too (do EJB3 timers use it perhaps?). It's maybe just a bit out of place that year after year JBoss bundles the same version of Quartz, even though it is known to contain a plethora of bugs.

So even though it would not be the highest priority for many, I do wonder if JBoss AS is ever going to ship a more recent version. The version that's now being shipped is nearly 4 years old. If JBoss AS 6 is not going to update it, then this will probably mean another year, maybe two, for the next upgrade opportunity?

• 5. Re: Old version of Quartz in Jboss 5.0x and Jboss 5.1
                  jaikiran

henk53 wrote:

Well, it's either that or replacing the one JBoss bundles. This has been a workable workaround for me, but it's a workaround nevertheless.

Ideally, never replace what JBoss ships. It's always recommended to package your own version of library and use it.

henk53 wrote:

Surely, one day JBoss AS really has to upgrade this particularly library? As I understand it, it's used for some internal stuff in JBoss AS too (do EJB3 timers use it perhaps?). It's maybe just a bit out of place that year after year JBoss bundles the same version of Quartz, even though it is known to contain a plethora of bugs.

So even though it would not be the highest priority for many, I do wonder if JBoss AS is ever going to ship a more recent version. The version that's now being shipped is nearly 4 years old. If JBoss AS 6 is not going to update it, then this will probably mean another year, maybe two, for the next upgrade opportunity?

I don't think anyone is against upgrading the version of that library. It just doesn't seem to be on priority - because whatever it is used for in the AS, seems to be working fine with the current version. And as i already mentioned, ideally no user application should rely on the version of the thirdparty library (like quartz) shipped in the AS. Just to reiterate, i am not against upgrading the version - but the best way for user applications to deal with this is, to package their own quartz library in their app.

• 6. Re: Old version of Quartz in Jboss 5.0x and Jboss 5.1
                    henk53

jaikiran wrote:

Ideally, never replace what JBoss ships. It's always recommended to package your own version of library and use it.

I see, thanks for the advice I did indeed replaced the Quartz libs shipped by JBoss AS, more or less per the advice given here: http://www.mastertheboss.com/en/jboss-server/84-jboss-quartz.html .

I'll package the latest libs with my app from now on. Yet, it would still feel a bit safer to know that JBoss internally didn't rely on some old lib with very much bugs filed against it. Then again, if it really isn't broke for what JBoss uses it for, it shouldn't be fixed of course

Thanks again for the advice.