4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2004 3:56 AM by aloubyansky

JBOSS QL Information

zapa

Hello ,

I've been writting EJB's for some time and one of the biggest problems i have with them is the limited functionality of the EJB QL . I have heard in a few places of JBOSS QL , and I have tried a few internet searches for more info .

I am looking for at least a detailed list of what functionality JBOSS QL has . I was not able to find anything on google or on this site so I was wondering if anybody could point me to the right place , if there is one .

Thanks

• 1. Re: JBOSS QL Information
          triathlon98

Check the (for pay) documentation.

Joachim

• 2. Re: JBOSS QL Information
            fwesterop

Great. JBOSS is Open Source but Closed Documentation, right?

Well I actually bought the JBoss Administration & Development docs for 2.4.x sometime and all that's in there is info on the architecture and other stuff which seems only of interrest to folks *building* application servers instead of *using* them. Money wasted for me. No EJB-QL or JBOSS-QL stuff in there. I assume the same goes for the newer docs on 3.2.x.

What payed docs would you recommend on JBOSSS-QL then? I don't want to waste money again on internal server docs.

Cheers,
            Frank

• 3. Re: JBOSS QL Information
              darranl

Yes the current version of the Administrators and Developers Guide does contain JBoss-QL information.

Not sure if anyone has added information to the Wiki on this subject yet.

• 4. Re: JBOSS QL Information
                aloubyansky

Since 3.2.4 we also now have a new EJBQL compiler that is not documented yet. I'll update the wiki evetually.
                In standardjbosscmp-jdbc.xml in the defaults you can see

<ql-compiler>org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.JDBCEJBQLCompiler</ql-compiler>

This is the compiler we have been using so far. You can change it to
                <ql-compiler>org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.EJBQLToSQL92Compiler</ql-compiler>

in the defaults or even per query like:
                 <query>
                 <query-method>
                 <method-name>ejbSelectSelect</method-name>
                 <method-params>
                 <method-param>java.lang.String</method-param>
                 <method-param>java.lang.Object[]</method-param>
                 </method-params>
                 </query-method>
                 <dynamic-ql/>
                <ql-compiler>org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.EJBQLToSQL92Compiler</ql-compiler>
                 </query>

This compiler is EJBQL2.1 compatible and uses INNER and OUTER joins and subqueries. Of course, it won't work with databases that do not support this functionality.