3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 1:41 AM by swiderski.maciej

Working with event subprocesses in jBPM

marcj

Hey guys,

I'm currently working with event subprocesses in jBPM. My test case looks like this:

signalWorking.png

This process works fine. If an error is thrown, the error boundary event catches it and initiates the signal end event. With the signal, the signal event subprocess will be started - so far no problem.

Yet, what I would like to do is the following:

signalNotWorking.png

Unfortunately, the signal event subprocess won't be triggered. However and from my understanding (and as outlined in the BPMN 2.0 specification on page 178), this should be valid...

So it looks like the signal won't be communicated into the Exchange Rate Subprocess. Is that intended behavior or should that be possible?

Thx in advance...

• 1. Re: Working with event subprocesses in jBPM
          swiderski.maciej

In my opinion, this is correct behavior as as soon as error is thrown the error boundary event catches it and since this is an error event it will cancel activity it is attached to (the exchange rate subprocess) and by that making the event subprocess included in it not active. That makes it unavailable to receive signals. Thus it does work as expected. Event subprocess will be active as long as its container is active.

HTH

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Working with event subprocesses in jBPM
            marcj

Thx for that clarification. From that perspective, that makes sense for me.

Would that situation change when switching to compensation boundary events? Because when doing that, neither the first nor the second model triggers the compensation event subprocess. With your explanation, that kind of makes sense for the second scenario. With the first scenario, I receive the following error message:

unable to parse xml : Exception class java.lang.IllegalArgumentException : Compensation Event Sub-Processes at the process level are not supported.

Can someone clarify that for me?

• 3. Re: Working with event subprocesses in jBPM
              swiderski.maciej

I guess it's caused by unfinished work on compensation support so it might still not fully provide capabilities you would expect. Hopefully 6.2 will get more support for compensation though it's still not there