3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 1:48 AM by Maciej Swiderski

    KIE Workbench installation

    Robert Budźko Newbie

      Hello,

       

      I'd like to ask some few question about working with KIE WB.

       

      Deployment of KIE war on AS

      What surprised me at the beginning of my journey is extremely long deployment (normally, I'd just let it be, but I'm afraid it's connected with other issues which I'll describe in a moment). Is it normal? On modern machine (4 cores, a lot of memory for JVM) it takes more then 4 minutes. Additionally warnings are reported similar to:

      [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-1) Class Path entry xmlunit1.0.jar in "/tools/jboss-as-7.1.1.Final/bin/content/kie-wb-distribution-wars-6.0.1.Final-jboss-as7.war/WEB-INF/lib/fop-0.95.jar"  does not point to a valid jar for a Class-Path reference.

      Some kind of miss configuration of my AS maybe? I'm deploying KIE 6.0.1.Final on AS 7.1.1.Final.

       

      WebApp yells errors

      Generally speaking the workbench works, but using it is very difficult, because a lot of web controls (GWT I suppose) yells errors similar to:

      Uncaught com.google.gwt.event.shared.UmbrellaException: Exception caught: (TypeError) : Cannot read property 'a' of null

      Note that 'a' can be replaced by other short codes like 'uX', 'aX' and other - depends on control used. Unfortunately, I cannot determine what is the reason of this. Especially, that logs of AS are silent about it.


      I got feeling that my KIE installation is really unstable. Some screens like designer or modeler loads really long and sometimes are blank forever. Do you have any kind of ideas what could lead to such strange behaviors?


      KIE as a service

      Additionally, I'd like to ask abou REST API. I'm able to manage and operate on processes via it - I like it so much . I'd like to go a bit further and complete human task with via HTTP or JMS, by sending set of variables which reflects form. Provided variables are acceptable and user authenticated, process should continue to next node. Can I achieve it somehow? Unfortunately, using KIE webapp or GWT is out of the question for my purposes - that is the reason.

        • 1. Re: KIE Workbench installation
          Maciej Swiderski Master

          Robert Budźko wrote:

           

          Hello,

           

          I'd like to ask some few question about working with KIE WB.

           

          Deployment of KIE war on AS

          What surprised me at the beginning of my journey is extremely long deployment (normally, I'd just let it be, but I'm afraid it's connected with other issues which I'll describe in a moment). Is it normal? On modern machine (4 cores, a lot of memory for JVM) it takes more then 4 minutes. Additionally warnings are reported similar to:

          [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-1) Class Path entry xmlunit1.0.jar in "/tools/jboss-as-7.1.1.Final/bin/content/kie-wb-distribution-wars-6.0.1.Final-jboss-as7.war/WEB-INF/lib/fop-0.95.jar"  does not point to a valid jar for a Class-Path reference.

          Some kind of miss configuration of my AS maybe? I'm deploying KIE 6.0.1.Final on AS 7.1.1.Final.

          these are warning that indicates that some (actually quite few) third party libraries do not have proper meta data in MANIFEST.MF and thus JBoss AS complains about it, though they should not have any impact on the functionality of the application

          Startup time of the application should be less then a minute, check if you don't run on any network attached discs or similar that would make the access to disc much longer. Good to check if there is no network issues that blocks startup procedure in anyway. Does it hang on something while starting?

          Robert Budźko wrote:

           

          WebApp yells errors

          Generally speaking the workbench works, but using it is very difficult, because a lot of web controls (GWT I suppose) yells errors similar to:

          Uncaught com.google.gwt.event.shared.UmbrellaException: Exception caught: (TypeError) : Cannot read property 'a' of null

          Note that 'a' can be replaced by other short codes like 'uX', 'aX' and other - depends on control used. Unfortunately, I cannot determine what is the reason of this. Especially, that logs of AS are silent about it.


          I got feeling that my KIE installation is really unstable. Some screens like designer or modeler loads really long and sometimes are blank forever. Do you have any kind of ideas what could lead to such strange behaviors?

          this is more serious as it should not have any issues with gwt. What OS are you running on and what browser?

           

          Robert Budźko wrote:


          KIE as a service

          Additionally, I'd like to ask abou REST API. I'm able to manage and operate on processes via it - I like it so much . I'd like to go a bit further and complete human task with via HTTP or JMS, by sending set of variables which reflects form. Provided variables are acceptable and user authenticated, process should continue to next node. Can I achieve it somehow? Unfortunately, using KIE webapp or GWT is out of the question for my purposes - that is the reason.

          yes, both process and task operations are supported. You can use direct REST api via whatever client that supports REST endpoints or Java Remote API provided by jBPM. Limitation of the pure REST api approach is that it supports only simple types as variables (String, Integer, etc) while remote api does support complex object. See docs for more detaisl about end points and operations.

           

          HTH

          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: KIE Workbench installation
            Robert Budźko Newbie

            Hi Maciek,

            Thank you for your replay!

             

            Robert Budźko wrote:

            Hello,

            I'd like to ask some few question about working with KIE WB.

            Deployment of KIE war on AS

            What surprised me at the beginning of my journey is extremely long deployment (normally, I'd just let it be, but I'm afraid it's connected with other issues which I'll describe in a moment). Is it normal? On modern machine (4 cores, a lot of memory for JVM) it takes more then 4 minutes. Additionally warnings are reported similar to:

            [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-1) Class Path entry xmlunit1.0.jar in "/tools/jboss-as-7.1.1.Final/bin/content/kie-wb-distribution-wars-6.0.1.Final-jboss-as7.war/WEB-INF/lib/fop-0.95.jar"  does not point to a valid jar for a Class-Path reference.

            Some kind of miss configuration of my AS maybe? I'm deploying KIE 6.0.1.Final on AS 7.1.1.Final.

            these are warning that indicates that some (actually quite few) third party libraries do not have proper meta data in MANIFEST.MF and thus JBoss AS complains about it, though they should not have any impact on the functionality of the application

            Startup time of the application should be less then a minute, check if you don't run on any network attached discs or similar that would make the access to disc much longer. Good to check if there is no network issues that blocks startup procedure in anyway. Does it hang on something while starting?

            It hangs on first log of KIE deployment. I've compared it to another distributions (another OS as well) and for example 6.2 EAP + BPMS 6.0.1 EAP deploy package works perfectly. I understand that it is different packaging, but it works perfectly for me. Whole app indeed starts in ~1min.

             

            Robert Budźko wrote:

             

            WebApp yells errors

            Generally speaking the workbench works, but using it is very difficult, because a lot of web controls (GWT I suppose) yells errors similar to:

            Uncaught com.google.gwt.event.shared.UmbrellaException: Exception caught: (TypeError) : Cannot read property 'a' of null

            Note that 'a' can be replaced by other short codes like 'uX', 'aX' and other - depends on control used. Unfortunately, I cannot determine what is the reason of this. Especially, that logs of AS are silent about it.


            I got feeling that my KIE installation is really unstable. Some screens like designer or modeler loads really long and sometimes are blank forever. Do you have any kind of ideas what could lead to such strange behaviors?

            this is more serious as it should not have any issues with gwt. What OS are you running on and what browser?

            It was WinXP and IE 9. On more modern OS and more modern browser it works as it should. I've suffered only one forced F5 during 3h work, so it's OK.

             

             

            Robert Budźko wrote:


            KIE as a service

            Additionally, I'd like to ask abou REST API. I'm able to manage and operate on processes via it - I like it so much . I'd like to go a bit further and complete human task with via HTTP or JMS, by sending set of variables which reflects form. Provided variables are acceptable and user authenticated, process should continue to next node. Can I achieve it somehow? Unfortunately, using KIE webapp or GWT is out of the question for my purposes - that is the reason.

            yes, both process and task operations are supported. You can use direct REST api via whatever client that supports REST endpoints or Java Remote API provided by jBPM. Limitation of the pure REST api approach is that it supports only simple types as variables (String, Integer, etc) while remote api does support complex object. See docs for more detaisl about end points and operations.

            I'd like you to elaborate here . Maybe I've stated my question a bit too fuzzy. I've already used REST endpoints successfully, but I got precise use case scenario which I'd like to implement in my PoC. Let's simplify it to simple flow in which apart of start and end nodes only one additional HumanTask exists (in between them). Such a HT got one output parameter which is bound to process variable definition. Can I pass any kind REST/SOAP request or JMS command to BPMS as a service to complete this HT with desired output parameter passed along with the request/command? If I do, point me to some documentation please.

             

            Additionally, I'd like to ask about two new things about which I'm not so sure :

            1) Distributed transactions are supported and two services deployed on EAP can share transaction started by process instance, right?

            2) As long as distributed transactions supported by all services, BPMS can make use of it in case of crash/redeployment, because it will rollback to last save point of process instance and try again, right?

             

            Pardon me for so many small threads in one discussion,

            Robert

            • 3. Re: KIE Workbench installation
              Maciej Swiderski Master

              Robert Budźko wrote:

               

              I'd like you to elaborate here . Maybe I've stated my question a bit too fuzzy. I've already used REST endpoints successfully, but I got precise use case scenario which I'd like to implement in my PoC. Let's simplify it to simple flow in which apart of start and end nodes only one additional HumanTask exists (in between them). Such a HT got one output parameter which is bound to process variable definition. Can I pass any kind REST/SOAP request or JMS command to BPMS as a service to complete this HT with desired output parameter passed along with the request/command? If I do, point me to some documentation please.

               

              I guess you mean you want to pass any kind of data to be pass to you process instance as variable, right? If so then way to go is to use Java Remote API as it allows to pass all types of objects. Just keep in mind that it must be known to both server and client side so best to share the same module (jar) with data model so it can be properly marshaled and unmarshaled by JAXB.

               

              Robert Budźko wrote:

               

              Additionally, I'd like to ask about two new things about which I'm not so sure :

              1) Distributed transactions are supported and two services deployed on EAP can share transaction started by process instance, right?

              correct, engine execution is done within JTA transaction so whatever is started by process instance can join already running transaction, and vice versa - already running service can invoke process instance so it will join its (service) transaction

               

              Robert Budźko wrote:


              2) As long as distributed transactions supported by all services, BPMS can make use of it in case of crash/redeployment, because it will rollback to last save point of process instance and try again, right?

               

              it will rollback in case of failure. When it comes to retry that depends if there is mechanism to actually retry it. Might be that some app servers will try to recover the transaction based on transaction log but that's not guaranteed on all ap servers/dbs etc.

               

              HTH