1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 22, 2014 3:03 AM by ltarley

max-backup-index configuration for cleanup old log files

ltarley

1) I am using WildFly-8.0.0-Final(domain mode) ..and I need to control the maximum amount of server.log files and disk space through jboss logging framework...

i noticed   "periodic-rotating-file-handler" is a default handler configured in the domain.xml file..i am happy with this handler but i have noticed "periodic-rotating-file-handler" doesn't support "max-backup-index" , so,  it will not controlled the no. of log files ? ..

a) Is there any turnaround to configure "max-backup-index" in the "periodic-rotating-file-handler" ?

2) Then i configured custom-handler as mention below: (from domain.xml file)

<custom-handler name="FILE" class="org.jboss.logmanager.handlers.PeriodicSizeRotatingFileHandler" module="org.jboss.logmanager">

<properties>

<property name="fileName" value="${jboss.server.log.dir}/server.log"/>

<property name="maxBackupIndex" value="5"/>

<property name="append" value="true"/>

<property name="suffix" value=".yyyy-MM-dd"/>

<property name="autoFlush" value="true"/>

</properties>

</custom-handler>

from logging.properties file

# Custom handler configuration

handler.FILE=org.jboss.logmanager.handlers.PeriodicSizeRotatingFileHandler

handler.FILE.level=INFO

handler.FILE.properties=autoFlush,fileName,append,suffix

handler.FILE.constructorProperties=fileName,append

handler.FILE.autoFlush=true

handler.FILE.append=true

handler.FILE.suffix=.yyyy-MM-dd

handler.FILE.fileName=${org.jboss.server.log.file:server.log}

handler.FILE.formatter=PATTERN

The problem i had faced here is ...

As i set "maxBackupIndex" value="5" , after restarting the server ..i find , last 5 days logs were deleted...

what i understood from maxBackupIndex" is :- "it will keep the logs file with respect to its value" , in this case it should keep last 5 days log files and the files older than 5 days should be deleted ..please correct me ?

Can you please help me to configure periodic-rotating-file-handler" with  "max-backup-index or some other alternative ...

from the application end we are using "SLF4J" log utility backed by logback..