3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 11:13 AM by fcorneli

Batch API: remove job instances

fcorneli

While playing around with the Batch API in WildFly 8.1, I've noticed that the JSR 352 does not define any interface for removing old job instances.

In the spec I find under 11.2 Job Repository Artifact Lifecycle:

All job repository artifacts are created by the batch runtime during job processing and exist until deleted by an implementation provided means.

Is it somewhere documented how to remove job repository artifacts within WildFly/JBeret?

Why was such an important concept (CRU _D_) not foreseen in the Batch API specs?

• 1. Re: Batch API: remove job instances
          fcorneli

Looking at the JBeret implementation, there is no way to actually get the underlying org.jberet.repository.JobRepository instance. So a first step would be to make this type @Inject-able via BatchBeanProducer.

However, even then, both JdbcRepository and MongoRepository are not overriding the removeJob/removeJobInstance methods to actually remove these artifacts from the underlying repositories.

Furthermore, both JdbcRepository and MongoRepository are not overriding getJob/getJobs. Hence a WildFly restart with config:

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:batch:1.0">
              <job-repository>
                  <jdbc jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/Batch"/>
              </job-repository>
              <thread-pool>
                  <max-threads count="10"/>
                  <keepalive-time time="30" unit="seconds"/>
              </thread-pool>
          </subsystem>

is not reloading previous jobs. Anyone working on this?

• 2. Re: Batch API: remove job instances
            jamezp

The JobRepository is really meant for internal usage. I've filed a JIRA to implement a purge API, [JBERET-99] Add a way to delete/purge job repository artifacts - JBoss Issue Tracker.

Can you explain a bit what you mean by "not reloading previous jobs"? When I use a JDBC repository and list all jobs, I get back the all jobs that have been run including ones before I restarted WildFly.

--

James R. Perkins

• 3. Re: Batch API: remove job instances
              fcorneli

It's the jobOperator.getJobNames() that does not reload correctly from the database. getJobNames() only returns the in-memory 'current working set'. Not really a bug according to the specs, but just weird from a dev point-of-view.

I've created a small patch to expose JobRepository, and to have removeJob/removeJobInstance to propagate correctly towards the underlying JDBC database: removal of job artifacts by fcorneli · Pull Request #15 · jberet/jsr352 · GitHub